VRS oil consumption 55k

Hi, Bought a Fabia VRS from a car supermarket about 10 weeks ago. It went back to the garage a week after picking it up due to the gearbox loosing drive. This was quickly resolved by a skoda recall that it had never had. About 4 weeks ago the oil warning light came on and since then i have put almost 2 litres of oil in it. It also missfires when cold and pumps out blue smoke. The car is booked back into the garage where i purchased it but not for another 10 days. I have read posts on here about oil consumption but wondered if anyone has had a problem on one thats done 55k or more? Should i be worried? 

Any replies would be helpful. Thanks

Toxicvrs,  Dude, wrong thread.  lol.

joshburnage,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes there can be problems, and long before 55,000 miles, 

some were at 5,000 miles.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

DSG, what happened, was it the Mechatronic Control Unit that got replaced?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Toxicvrs, Dude, wrong thread. lol.

joshburnage,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes there can be problems, and long before 55,000 miles,

some were at 5,000 miles.

DSG, what happened, was it the Mechatronic Control Unit that got replaced?

I know it's just the quickest easiest way to tag someone in a thread!
  • Like 1

Thanks, Yeah most problems seem to happen way before 55k. Its not under manufactures warranty though so im concerned if it needed a new engine my aa warranty would cover it. Will have to wait what the garage come back with when it goes in. No it just had a change of gearbox oil. It seemed to do the trick and hasnt left me stranded since. Also the gearbox is getting more jerky and clunky daily!

Here is the issue,

Some Warranty Companies have refused to Cover the cost of a replacement engine,

reason being.

Skoda / VW know there was a problem.

Well that is true, maybe not on your car / Engine,  but VW / Skoda did nothing to check Engines,

or sometimes to listen to Owners Concerns.

So where Warranty Companies say no, VW are at fault,  This is a good thing.

VW / Skoda Assume the Position & Provide the Engine and pay the Labour.

Others were asked to pay a percentage.

As it is someone needs to pay,  Warranty Company or Skoda UK.

Lets hope the ECU had not been mapped previously,

if it is checked and was by a previous owner,  then the Dealer will be the one to talk to.

PS.

DSG is not a REcall,  just a Service Campaign, and the OI needs changed from Synthetic to Mineral,

and a ECU Update,

but some need a new Mechatronic Unit,

& some need Clutch Packs, but the Mechatronic Control Units and Clutch Packs have been an issue for some for the past 4 years.

Edited by goneoffSKi

George knows more about this than me.

But how long is the car under warranty with the car supermarket for?

Trading standards says you can have a certain amount problems within a certain amount of time with a vehicle (they may have to be non related but im not sure) and then you the right to return and claiming your money back.

Might be worth looking into that if push comes to shove.

• Like 1

I'd try and get my money back on that ASAP if I were you. 2 major issues cropping up in a matter if weeks isn't good. I suspect the car has probably been an oil user for quite some time now. Might be worth a phonecall to Skoda UK to see if the car has any adverse history such as oil consumption tests under warranty etc. Might help you reject the car as unfit if need be.

• Like 2

The sad thing is that many will never know before buying a used car unless they do online searches,

or someone tells them to beware and take care.

Actually buying a 2010-2012 built vRS from a Dealer, Official Dealer or Private individual is like Russian Roulette.

So you need to be sure of the cars Warranty History, and Tuning History (Impossible really), and be sure there is a Warranty that will cover major Drivetrain Failures, that is the 3 months cover or longer From the Dealer,

& then be prepared to buy an Extended Warranty when buying Privately or from the Motor Trade.

Of the 1,800 CAVE engine cars in the UK, the percentage failing is growing,

but also some cars never had anything done to resolve the problems earlier, or so far,

& some that did are failing again where they just had a Replacement CAVE fitted by Skoda UK at Dealerships.

It is a crying shame that Skoda / VW /Seat /Audi have left so many 'Wrong uns', floating about on the UK Market.

Skoda should have bought them back and scrapped lots of them.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Thanks for your responses everyone. If i had known about the issues in this detail before i wouldnt have purchased the car. I do love the car its just a shame it has these issues. Cant do anything really now until its in the garage on the 16th. Just hoping it doesnt go bang on me. Chances are i will try and reject the car because i have a feeling it will be on going issue and as much as i like the car i cant be doing with the hassle. I will keep you all informed on what happens. 

Thanks, Josh

• Like 1

You say you bought the car from a Car Supermarket.

?

Is this a Major Operator & owned by a big car group?

Who did the Warranty work on the DSG?

Who is going to be looking at the engine on the 16th?   ie What workshop or Dealership?

So you can call Skoda UK Customer Services now,

Ask the Service History and the Warranty History on the car.  

Maybe do not put off to the 16th if there is reason to reject the car, and you might have reason to.

You need the Legal Advice, or follow the Trading Standards advice.

But get Documentation if you can now.

'Warranty Work' already done in the cars first 3 years is important to get now really.

Its an independent car supermarket as far as im aware. They have been around for a long time though and family members have always bought there cars from them and they have been good. Skoda did the warranty work.... the garage i bought it from sorted it all out for me. The garage i bought it from is having it in to look at the issues so im unsure if they will get skoda involved or not. They dont give much away. If i call skoda customer services will they give me the warranty history just like that? The car has only previously had one owner and was a motability car so it will be interesting to see what warranty work was carried out on it. 

Thanks

Thanks for your responses everyone. If i had known about the issues in this detail before i wouldnt have purchased the car. I do love the car its just a shame it has these issues.

The VRS when problem free, as mine has been to date fortunately, is an absolutely fantastic car, I love mine to bits.

Sadly, when the VRS is bad, it seems to be very, very bad and yours may fall into that category.

As others have suggested, I would be inclined to get some legal advice and/or involve Trading Standards straight away. You may be lucky, get any problems resolved quickly with little hassle and drive a really enjoyable 55k miles. On the other hand, you may be fobbed off with quick fixes, suffer endless niggling little problems, face unresponsive dealers charging excessive amounts and end up hating what should be a really enjoyable car.

I feel really sorry for your plight, you have missed out on a gem of a car.

The one owner must have been 'Motability Finance',

Because they owned it, it does not mean the car has not been 'In Trade'. 

and passed through various Traders or Auctions before getting to the Car Supermarket that sold it to you.

&

Motability Lease does not mean 'sold to some old dear or old chap like me'.

It means sold to 'Motability Finance' and leased to someone in receipt of HR DLA.

& they might drive it, 

or a nominated driver might.

*Or even non nominated drivers might have it regularly or constantly.*

Or like the Member on Briskoda that got a Fast SEAT on his mother Mobility Money,

some boy racer might have driven it.

Well until boasting in Forums about getting a car on the cheap, and being reported and the car was recovered by Motability.

At least the Service Record and Warranty Record will have the Supplying Dealership, and the Servicing Dealership.

& the Car should have had a RAC Inspection and MOT early, if the Mobility Lease had the car the full 3 years.

Then it went to Auction.

Bought by the Car Supermarket Group, or they may have an Arrangement with 'Motability Finance. to purchase at End of Lease.'

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

Oh god a mobility vrs ! Really hence the oil usage a clunky gearbox , it's been sold to some old dear " yes it's an automatic " it will be fine

Abit like this Motability lady then......? Lol

image-35.jpg

• Like 1

Motability, as George says means nothing. I drive a couple of motability cars a day and I am no old lady/bloke. They are driven the same as my fabia vrs is.

Motability doesnt mean driven nicely. My grandpa bless him had a daewoo matiz when they first came out. And drove it like it was the mk1 mexico he had years ago. Sounded like the engine was in the passenger seat!!

on your topic though, as horrible as it is, id get it back to the place you bought it from. Unless skoda are going to replace the engine obviously, if they do then you've pulled a blinder and got a brand new engine to enjoy :)

Just an update.... emailed the garage rejecting the car yesterday. Car is now in garage being looked at so not sure whats going to happen from here.... got an aygo as a courtesy car.....

Good move, hope it works out for you! Keeps us updated :-)

• Like 1

Just an update.... emailed the garage rejecting the car yesterday. Car is now in garage being looked at so not sure whats going to happen from here.... got an aygo as a courtesy car.....

Good luck mate!

Whatever carp they try and tell you, just stick to your guns. Itll be alreet!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi only just got the car back.... its had new oil put in by the skoda garage and it needs to go back in after 300 miles to have the oil weighed and tested to see if its using too much. It started up this morning with a plume of blue smoke so not feeling that confident about it to be honest. Will keep you all updated