Found some led number plate bulbs that work, error free and nothing on the dash

Is there any particular benefit in having LED number plate bulbs?

Can ANPR scanners read them?

Are they street legal?

Are they just cosmetic?

they look a lot better and just for cosmetic instead of the yellow effect you get with the standard ones
  • Like 1

As above I found some LEDs that work for the VRS. Got them China I think and quick postage.

Here is link if your looking for some

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251418357338

Ant

Yes - i run these on our Seat Exeo - so far so good on reliability. Also - these are rated 3W, if you look around there are brighter 5W versions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-5w-CREE-CAN-BUS-OBC-ERROR-FREE-AUDI-VW-C5W-36mm-Number-Plate-Led-White-/261576661998?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce72f1bee

Yes - i run these on our Seat Exeo - so far so good on reliability. Also - these are rated 3W, if you look around there are brighter 5W versions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-5w-CREE-CAN-BUS-OBC-ERROR-FREE-AUDI-VW-C5W-36mm-Number-Plate-Led-White-/261576661998?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce72f1bee

I know people that have been pulled up by the police for there led number plate bulbs being to bright and had to change them back. 3w is fine. Why would you want them any brighter?

I know people that have been pulled up by the police for there led number plate bulbs being to bright and had to change them back. 3w is fine. Why would you want them any brighter?

It's a fair question - but i havent had any issues. Depends on the lens diffusion on your model perhaps.

The 3W CREE sometimes gives an occasional warning on Seat and Audi CANBUS  - typically in the cold.

The uprated 5W units have been 100% so far. I sourced a few sets for guys on R36Owners.net - all good!  :thumbup:

I took mine out due to a failure of the bulb (Attached to a resistor to avoid a bulb failure light.)

..some are better built than others!!

You could be lucky and get some good ones

Its a lottery on eBay...IMO

Btw - the link i posted is for a shop local to me and they come in retail packaging.

I have had zero issues since moving to these.....  and they guys on R36 forum are happy too  :thumbup:

I've had my led numberplate bulbs in for about a year now, never had a problem.

Just give a nicer look dont they.

I really hate the yellow tinge that incandescent bulbs give off. I've got rid of all of them for leds, interior and exterior.

• Like 1

Is this your Number Plate Bulb?

Have you had the Corrosion on the rear hatch dealt with yet,?

and have you been in to check behind the trim of the hatch to see how much 'moisture / H20' might be there.

Corroding Rear Hatch can mean corroding fitments, like Bulb Holders or Connections.

george

and have you been in to check behind the trim of the hatch to see how much 'moisture / H20' might be there.

Corroding Rear Hatch can mean corroding fitments, like Bulb Holders or Connections.

george

Absolutely right mate.

Audi a3's have a common fault where water gets into the boot lid and corrodes the wires.

My brothers 2005 model has had this. It got a flickering numberplate light, it messed with the immobiliser and stopped the motor from working on the window wiper, due to the corrosion of wires inside.

The flashing numberplate light could be a sign...

The simplest way to see how the inside on the hatch panel looks is to remove the trim and see. You might get condensation dependent on where you live and time of the year. But plenty people have rear washer pipes or seals that leak and never think of this being why the Windows or front screen steams up.

george

Alright George

Yup, number plate bulb. It's just the bulb that's fooked. Looked yesterday and strip of the LEDs no longer light up, so looks like it's just blown. Doesn't appear to be any moisture around the connections etc.

Regards to the boot. I've managed to do a bit of DIY with it and I've stopped the tailgate catching on bumper for now. I've put my old rubber ariel/antenna in the gap and the pressure has pushed the bumper down slightly so no longer catches if that makes sense.

The bumper needs replacing though because of the bump it had. It's bent part of it

So going to look for a new/used bumper and then I'm having The lower part of the tailgate treated and painted!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought these exact same ones some weeks ago. Worked for a while, then started to throw blown bulb light on the dash. Also way too bright for my liking. Build quality on these seem top notch though. 

I'm back to using the blue coloured regular festoons :)