Strange noise from dash

He guys,

1.9 awx, 125k miles,

The last week I've noticed a crackiling noise that seems to be coming from behind the dashboard, around or coming through the centre console top vent area. Sounds like an old radio crackling.

It also seems to go away once the car is warmed up, but last approx 10 miles in my morning commute.

Any ideas?

I had something very similar over the last few days. Thought at first it could be the blower motor. Switched the fan completely off, still doing it. That left the hazard switch/indicator relay. It was this in my case. This morning whilst waiting for a fare with my hazards on, the indicators stopped working, and smoke started pouring out of the switch/relay assembly. Switched the hazards off very quickly. Smoke stopped, but the indicators and hazards wouldn't flash. Managed to source a new one from TPS Leeds, can't praise them enough. 49 quid all but, and my mechanic friend fitted it in two minutes. Please, please check this sooner rather than later, as in my case, could be a fire hazard

The inside of those hazard switches is a joke - I've seen better assembled sets of Christmas tree lights.  The illumination on mine was intermittent when I got the car (at 40K miles!).  When I took it apart I found soldering which looked to have been done by a child.  Scratch that - as a child I would have done a better job!

Just like it came it went...

In the meantime I fiddled with the contents of the glovebox -  had the air vent in the box open, and some wipes in crinkly packets.  I guess the sound might travel through the vents.

I also noticed the bolt covers on my engine cover have got very rattly, so I swapped them around until they weren't so bad.

I guess either of those are suspects :)