Door Microswitch

TMB

Stripped my door today after living with the bloody annoying door locking thing and no lights-on alarm or interior light when opening driver's door for over a year since I got the car.

Had a bit of trouble when one of the 10mm bolts (the one through the right-hand grommet hole in the pic) holding the window guide just kept turning without coming out. The captive nut behind it had parted company with the metal window clamping bracket. Anyway, managed to get it off eventually and had to silicone the nut back on. Once it's held in its square hole it can't turn, so silicone will hold it good enough.

SS858740.jpg

SS858753.jpg

And, as I thought would be the case, the plastic microswitch button is shredded...

SS858764.jpg

Also, the plastic covered cam that operates the switch is shredded too. I will cut the plastic away and let the switch operate on the metal part underneath. Don't know how long it will last but I might get a few years out of it.

SS858768.jpg

New microswitch. I'm using Burgess V4NSUL. I'm going to alter the metal lock body to accept it.

SS858777.jpg

Ragged plastic stripped away from switch cam using a craft knife heated by a blow torch...

untitled.jpg

Holes in metal lock adapted and switch fitted and working correctly on a multimeter. Didn't have any tiny nuts and bolts to hold the switch, so carefully threaded tiny self-tappers into it.

SS858790.jpg

SS858792.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is some absolute TOP bodging.  I ended up buying 2 new locks because i hadn't come across a bodge yet that looked like it would work.  This is awesome as id rather but my original locks back in haha.

Where did you get the micro switch from?

Saved to bookmarks, Mines does my head in. Thanks for the guide

No probs. Let me know if you need any advice with it.

• 1 month later...

I've just done this to my drivers lock today and now the bloody car won't lock off the fob.

I can open all door off the fob but locking doesn't work at all for some reason. I drive off and it locks as it should (passengers side bounces back up but I was going to do that one next). Lock the car from putting key in the door and all doors lock except passengers door which it's never done before, it just bounces back open. Also to add insult to I just I've had to pull the fuse for the interior light as it's now staying on all the time. I even bought the same parts as you did haha. Suggestions anyone before I burn my car out lol.

Thanks guys :) I got the microswitch off ebay. I bought two of them in case I damaged one whilst getting it to fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271444917281?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Maplin do a range of micro switches costing from around £1.50 to around £2.50 . 3A  rated .Beauty of maplin is that you can take the old one n and compare

Maplin do a range of micro switches costing from around £1.50 to around £2.50 . 3A  rated .Beauty of maplin is that you can take the old one n and compare

Yeah but in my case, by the time I'd paid for the petrol to drive to and from Maplin, which is in the next town, it wouldn't be much cheaper, and I knew that the Burgess V4NSUL was going to fit and do the job.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just done this to my drivers lock today and now the bloody car won't lock off the fob.

I can open all door off the fob but locking doesn't work at all for some reason. I drive off and it locks as it should (passengers side bounces back up but I was going to do that one next). Lock the car from putting key in the door and all doors lock except passengers door which it's never done before, it just bounces back open. Also to add insult to I just I've had to pull the fuse for the interior light as it's now staying on all the time. I even bought the same parts as you did haha. Suggestions anyone before I burn my car out lol.

Oh heck, I missed this post before. Did you manage to get it sorted?

Nah not yet. The dark nights have been against me. Im lucky that where i work and park is so secure i dont need to worry about locking the car haha. I think i have the distance between the microswitch and cam wrong so its either not open or closed (the switch i mean).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah not yet. The dark nights have been against me. Im lucky that where i work and park is so secure i dont need to worry about locking the car haha. I think i have the distance between the microswitch and cam wrong so its either not open or closed (the switch i mean).

Pain in the arse isn't it. It's a crap piece of design. Dunno why they couldn't just use the normal type of door switch like older cars had.

Yeah i know what you mean. This design is rubbish. I should have tested it an the time rather than making sure it locked and unlocked before putting everything back together. Next time im going to properly test before refitting everything. Lesson to be learned there somewhere haha.

• 2 months later...

Maplin do a range of micro switches costing from around £1.50 to around £2.50 . 3A rated .Beauty of maplin is that you can take the old one n and compare

Do you know which one from maplin will do the job? I need to do this, but can't get the current switch off for a couple more weeks to compare them, but I'm headed to maplin next week for something else.

• 1 month later...

So bit of a random one...

I've read a few of these threads now.

My interior light DOES work, the door lights also work.

They DO NOT come on when the car is unlocked, door lights come on when you open the door BUT the interior light does not.

Any ideas?

• 6 months later...

I found a source of direct replacement microswitches. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than a new lock!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Right-Door-Lock-Micro-Switch-for-VW-BORA-POLO-GOLF4-MK4-Passat-B5-3BD998786-/161748312763?hash=item25a8f362bb:g:C5kAAOSwHnFVkRLt

Edited by TMB

Ebay searching the VAG part number from that listing brings up a few other sources, but also suggests that the little blighters are different for left and right sides. 3BD998785 left, 3BD998786 for right. (Scroll down to 'Other related items' and you see the 785 ones).

Think I might get one of each for emergencies. Cheers Lee. :)

Edited by Wino

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have a question too.

My doors are not locking from the remote, but they are opening.The interior light is always on even if I close the door,but if I leave the headlights on the buzzer is activated when I open the drivers door.

Is this a microswitch issue?

If it is with what screws can i replace the rivets when I will strip the door?

The car is a fabia mk1 2006 1.2 6y5

Edited by rar_balazs

The microswitch referred to in this thread doesn't affect the locking/unlocking, it only tells the electronics that the door is either open or closed. Are you sure you have got the interior light switch set to the door activated position? I'm puzzled why the light is always on but the lights buzzer still works normally because they operate from the same microswitch.

If you remove the door rivets you would need new ones and a lazy tongs riveter to install them. The rivets are part number N91078801 and there are ten in each front door.

You would also need some spare door card clips as some of them usually break when removing the card...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-FABIA-INTERIOR-DOOR-PANEL-CARD-TRIM-CLIPS/192216223813?fits=Model%3AFabia&hash=item2cc0fad045:g:1xgAAOxyfS1R4YAF

Before taking the door apart check for broken wires in the rubber door bellows.

ryy5u.png

Edited by TMB