Engine Consuming Oil

Mine still uses 2ltrs of oil every 10 K and its on 94K 1.9tdi.

Check it when its cold and on level ground dont over fill it or the turbo could take off running on the oil

Edited by skippy41

2 litres per 10K... thats alot! How often do you check or do you just wait for the warning to show? Is the viscosity possibly too low?

Using the correct oil, 05/30 Asda,s own brand, have tried the top named oil it still drinks it, even changed the turbo in case it was warn, don't know what else to check apart from a head strip down to change the valve o rings

Oil from a slow leak will collect on the engine undertray rather than dripping on the ground under the car. Before getting it sorted (within 3 weeks of spotting it), I was losing about half a litre of coolant a week and there still wasn't a drip to be seen under the car anywhere I parked. It was only when I started looking down into the engine with a torch that I saw any sign of a leak at all.

I'd be a bit nervous of using any oil, branded or not, if it doesn't meet the VAG oil spec for the engine, so not sure about the ASDA stuff. The VAG spec oil is supposedly put through a much stricter high shear, high temperature test not included in the standard oil ratings, which are just viscosity measurements, to ensure it doesn't break down in the turbo bearing. I've no evidence for this apart from a friend of mine who's a bit of a VAG encyclodedia though...

Edited by psycholist

I'm sure you'd see the smoke from the exhaust or the oily residue on the rear of the car if it was burning 2 litres every 10k , I think I'd put it in the auction

Edited by peterposh

Had to top up 1/2 litre of oil last week when the engine oil level warning came on. Yesterday, the light came on again... Dont see any oil leaks on the floor of my driveway... Any ideas?

To get this thread back on track, I assume that you are referring to your 2010 Superb 1.8TSI and that you live in Singapore.  First, you shouldn't have let the oil level get to the stage where it is too low.  You don't mention where the oil level was on the dipstick before you added 1/2 litre, nor where it was afterwards.  Did you check that you had topped up to the maximum level mark on the dipstick after adding that amount of oil?  I don't know the exact amount of oil needed to bring the oil level from the minimum to maximum markings, but 1/2 litre is likely to have been far too little.  And did you know that the oil level indicator light will go out if the bonnet is open for more than 30 seconds and will stay off for 100km even if no oil has been added?

What I would advise you to do now is to top the oil up to the maximum mark on the dipstick (range A as shown in the Owners Manual) and then to recheck the level say every 100km so that you can keep an eye on the oil consumption and take action if it falls to the minimum level (range C) on the dipstick.  Do that over a distance of 1000km and check that it does not exceed 0.5l.  If it does, and there are no signs of a physical oil leak, then you really do have a problem.  Skoda have issued a Technical Product Information (TPI 2027920/1 dated 05-Jan-2012) detailing repair action in such a case.  This involves replacing the set of complete pistons as well as the set of connection rods.  I believe that the cost of this repair in the UK is circa £2500.

Had to top up 1/2 litre of oil last week when the engine oil level warning came on. Yesterday, the light came on again... Dont see any oil leaks on the floor of my driveway... Any ideas?

Which engine do you have?

I have a 2010 superb elegance 1.8TSI, Looking at the fog light cluster housing I only see 1 bulb. The DRL can be enabled in the maxidot however it enables the HID main dip beams to be on.

1.8TSI.