Superb Estate 1.4 TSI (2010) any engine problem?

Javidk

Hi,

I bought a Skoda superb estate 1.4 TSI 2010 ( 62000 km) last week. Today a colleague of mine told me that VW 1.4 TSI engine had several problems and i shouldnt bought that. Have you experinced any issue with the engine?

FYI, I have 6 months garanty from the gagage that i bought.

Thanks

What engine code do you have? List of engines HERE

The 1.4 was known to suffer from problems with the timing chain, documented HERE

Maybe visit a dealer and see if they have an active recall on the engine, and tell them if something goes wrong with the timing chain, you expect them to honor their warranty.

My, from new, 1.4 CAXC 2009, 14K miles is running as well as it's first day. A little rattley on starting up (sales staff said they all do it) and has a undignified rasp on the overrun. I have asked my main dealer, Crawley Down, twice if there has been any recalls especially with reguard to the timing chain and tensioner. They say there are no recalls for my car/ engine.

I agree with 'Italian Job'; it's the twin-charged engine that was prone to problems, and the article 'Too Tall' links to refers to that engine.

I'm unaware of an issue with the single-turbo 1.4 engine.

• 5 months later...

Has anybody experienced the vibration/rattle with the car? It happens to me as I mentioned in this post: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/350003-superb-14-tsi-engine-vibrationrattle/. Probably it's not engine rattle but it's more like the engine is not smooth, something like the car is running on road with lots of small stones under the tires, that makes rattle noise and vibration on the pedals (gas & clutch especially).

Too small an engine for too large a car imo, I used a Golf with the 1.4 in it and for a Golf it's about right, wouldn't want one in a Passat or Superb tbh and especially if it was going to have to do some proper work, car perfomed ok but I've seen this small engine big car thing before and it leads to tired engines and other engine parts being overworked in the end.

• Like 1

Too small an engine for too large a car imo, I used a Golf with the 1.4 in it and for a Golf it's about right, wouldn't want one in a Passat or Superb tbh and especially if it was going to have to do some proper work, car perfomed ok but I've seen this small engine big car thing before and it leads to tired engines and other engine parts being overworked in the end.

By large car, do you mean the mass? The similar 1.4 TSI engine is used in Skoda Octavia whose gross weight is about 1930kg and Superb 1.4 TSI is just about 110kg (weights of 2 adults) more while it has 2kw more for the engine power to compensate the mass. So basically I think it's roughly the same as Octavia in terms of engine power/mass.

By large car, do you mean the mass? The similar 1.4 TSI engine is used in Skoda Octavia whose gross weight is about 1930kg and Superb 1.4 TSI is just about 110kg (weights of 2 adults) more while it has 2kw more for the engine power to compensate the mass. So basically I think it's roughly the same as Octavia in terms of engine power/mass.

Yes, and tbh it's too small for an Octavia as well, these small engines are ramped up to output in a satisfactory way by leaning on Turbo's and Superchargers both of which are expensive and do fail, even the one in my 2.0TDi B6 started howling and limp moding at 40k.