very loud whistle

hello,

since a few days I have a strange behavior: it"s starting to whistle very loud. Its auto-accelerating till 2000RPM or tremble violently on idle The sound appears or disappears apparent  for no reason. I found no correlation between appearance and disappearance of the sound and other thing. The sound is very loud, high frequency and I don"t find the reason or the place of that sound (in engine compartment) .

:(

Skoda Octavia Elegance 2005, 1.6FSI BLF ~130k Km

Scanning for error codes would be a useful start.You say you cannot find the source of the noise but I assume you are still sure it is coming from the engine? I would suspect a leak in an air hose or similar fault might give you the symptoms but a scan might give you much more information. Frustrating, sorry.

I noticed that the sound appear only when the engine is worm... and this not explains the rpm variation... :( My wife is this morning in service for diagnostic. More frustrating that this morning (cold engine, and 15deg outside) no sound was present.

Hallo!

If you could post a video of the sound on Youtube it may help.

It could be the alternator maybe? The pulley on then sometimes wears out especially with higher KMs and can make funny screeching/whistling noises. Easy to rule out but slackening and removing the auxiliary belt.

Phil

this could be a fact... and from this the load management is trying to raise the rpm to ...maybe

that car is turning 10 years in February. a lot of issue can be due to aging 

I just pick up the car: they first suspect the auxiliary belt - they remove it and the noise was still there. They said that the sound is coming from inside or under the motor, maybe the fuel pomp or some valve... And that is it...100euro spend for suppositions... they recommend me to go to skoda service (I  have dealer near but it's unbelievable expensive(they offered me an offer for oil change of 150 euro (normal price is between 70-100euro)) and this skoda service didn't seems to be so trustful).

So... what can it be...

• 2 weeks later...

I had this on my car a vrs tfsi n the garage said it was something to do with a pcv valve? The screeching was air passing through the oil seals due to the vacuum that was building up inside!

Could be along same line?

Edited by Flinch

I studied the noise in some youtube videos and i found out that if I lift the oil cap the noise disappear - so it's seems that this is the problem. A big thank you Flinch.

I need to find now where is located and an order code for a new one (I guess?) or can be repaired?!?

A nice Sunday anyone.

• Like 1

Pcv valve blocked 1.6 FSI BLF:

I removed the air filter to check for evidence on the valve but nothing to see. The noise was not present but the void can be observed

I have a scan:

Address 01: Engine        Labels: 03C-906-056-BAG.lbl
   Part No SW: 03C 906 056 BS    HW: Hardware No
   Component: MED9.5.10       G00 8544  
   Revision: 00000000    Serial number: SKZ7Z0D2793370
   Coding: 0000071
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000
   VCID: 75EBF9941C3FF7B6B75-8020

6 Faults Found:
17887 - Brake Boost Vacuum System
            P1479 - 008 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
18359 - Radiator Fan 2 (V177)
            P1951 - 002 - Movement Restricted / Jammed - Intermittent
17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
            P1340 - 008 - Incor. Correlation - Intermittent
18726 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276)
            P2294 - 004 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
17834 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80)
            P1426 - 004 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
19490 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 (G299)
            P3034 - 002 - Signal too Large - Intermittent

But after i delete the errors I start de engine (warm) and it started to howl. I removed the oil cap very hard (void in oil chamber), the sound goes away and very anstable idle but no errors.

I ordered and received next day:

http://www.partscats.info/skoda/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=sk&number=81&set=90&ein=2004&f=419&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=1&grf=010312253&bf=10312&hgug=103&ug=03&parent_id=99324&detail_id=99353

43Euro, easy to remove and change.

Today after 60km everything is fine. I will diagnose again in weekend to delete the errors and retest after one week to see what is still a problem.

I ordered and received next day:

http://www.partscats.info/skoda/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=sk&number=81&set=90&ein=2004&f=419&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=1&grf=010312253&bf=10312&hgug=103&ug=03&parent_id=99324&detail_id=99353

43Euro, easy to remove and change.

Today after 60km everything is fine. I will diagnose again in weekend to delete the errors and retest after one week to see what is still a problem.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you disconnect the clip underneath the PCV valve which holds the fuel (coolant?) pipes? I tried removing the pcv valve but it was very difficult with all them pipes connected to it.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the clip: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=e16ws9&s=8

Edited by thinkpad

It was quite simple: with a screwdriver I pushed a little bit the clip from my side while pulling the pcv. There's an opening that is visible. There you should push with the screwdriver. It's seems that is enough for removing it.

Edited by kluand
  • Like 1

It was quite simple: with a screwdriver I pushed a little bit the clip from my side while pulling the pcv. There's an opening that is visible. There you should push with the screwdriver. It's seems that is enough for removing it.

Thanks. Is the opening underneath? So you push the screwdriver upwards from underneath, while pulling the pcv upwards too? Are there just 1 opening or 2 (as the clip has 2 parts)? Sorry for asking so many questions - I just don't want to break it. :)

EDIT: Is this the opening you are referring to? http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28homds&s=8

Edited by thinkpad

yes, that is the one...

for me it was enough to push from that opening. i pushed not from below but from my side (from front to back) while pulling.

First I feared the same thing but after 2 dismantle I am confident...

I think you understand correctly.

• Like 1

yes, that is the one...

for me it was enough to push from that opening. i pushed not from below but from my side (from front to back) while pulling.

First I feared the same thing but after 2 dismantle I am confident...

I think you understand correctly.

Very much appreciated kluand. Many thanks!