Cheap shock absorber kit - ebay: 1.9tdi

Hi,

So, my shocks keep passing the MOT/NCT. However I'm not happy with them. Feels a little bouncy at the back and the front isn’t great either. Just a harsh ride in general.

Car has huge mileage and the shocks all round are original.

I don't want to spend big money as the car (although I like it) isn’t worth it. So I was browsing ebay and found this nice kit.

I'm a little concerned about the quality. But hoping it should give a very noticeable improvement in comfort and handling.

The seller has this part listed for multiple cars including 1.4 golf. (a lot lighter)

Does this matter? Is the compression/spring rate only relevant to the springs?

Also, should I renew my springs while I’m at it?

Any input/advice greatly appreciated, cheers.

If its golf listed, don't... The weights are totally different front and rear...

Many sets for golfs say Octavia too, but they don't sit right or ride right.

Welcome to brisky, but expect to be told many times... Don't but ebay shocks...

Or cheap shocks/ coil overs...

Don't take it personal either, people just genuinely don't want you to end up getting stuck with carp that's been tried before :D

Hi thanks for the feedback. It's listed for the Golf, Audi, A3, Toledo, Bora, Beetle and Octavia.

The set is a copy of the originals and does not include the springs. The kit is just for 4 struts, mounts and bump stops.

It's not a whole lot cheaper than the likes of GSF.

Are you sure the struts for each model are different?

I thought it was only the springs that where specific to each model.

TBH I was thinking it was too good to be true. However I've been sold petty crap car parts off normal motor factors before (and paid well for them).

What struts would you recommend on a resonable budget?

Cheers for the welcome :)

I mis read tbh, I assumed it was a struts and springs set :D

Off hand, i havnt a clue.... I only know about the potential problems from reading up on manys a member getting caught out with shocks/springs and Coilvers that werent correct for Octy ;(

Someone Clever will be along shortly...

worth checking eurocarparts too.

get the varient of your model from the menus and compare. add 10quid for shipping to ireland though..

carparts4less also, (same compnay as ecp but generally cheaper for the same thing??) but their irish shipping is 20 quid...

Bilstein get good reviews too.

oh, and i never said, if changing the shocks, for an extra few quid and about 90 secs per corner id swap springs too -

sods law dictates that if you dont, youll drive 50 miles and snap a spring, so have to fork out on the double...