Winter tyre noise, and a directionless fool is corrected

Just in case this happens to you.

My dear wife took my car for a run today (she drives a Yeti) and found what she described as a horrendous grinding noise. As she was near our local dealer, Meadens of Sway, I suggested she popped in. Long and short is that the noise is from the Continental winter tyres which I put back on last weekend prior to a Germany trip, and only on some road surfaces (since I'd changed them I'd done a motorway run on smooth tarmac and not noticed). Sounds like you're driving on a ribbed surface at speed...or like a tracked vehicle if you've ever done that.

So far 10 out of 10 for Meadens garage. BUT they also spotted the Conti's are directional and I'd put two back on the wrong way round (front offside/rear nearside). DOH! They swapped them, and didn't want to charge a bean (tenner in the Christmas fund was agreed in the end). Didn't solve the noise issue but was a clear safety issue (and wear issue) I'd not identified. Well done guys. 

So winter tyres can mean noisy tyres, beware they can be directional, and if anyone is looking for the best Skoda Garage in Britain, come to the New Forest. 

• Like 1

Although I don't have them to my Skoda, winter tyres are going back on my Fiat this weekend.    Some winter tyres can be really quite noisy. I have Goodyear Ultragrip 8 on my Fiat and have been pleasantly surprised at how quiet they are.

There's three types of winter tyres. One is studded tyres - those are really noisy :) Then there is hard rubber tyres (those are for mild winter) and soft rubber tyes (for icy and cold winter). Soft rubber winter tyres usually are less noisy compared to summer tyres. Hard rubber winter tyres - it depends. :)

Still lovely and warm over here in Germany 20 degrees today lively and sunny and getting warmer!!!. Most people haven't fitted their winters yet, no surprise really. I'll wait for the mercury to drop before I whack mine on.

Have a safe trip over Brocky, and once your here enjoy!!!

Very warm here too today, 20c, not great timing for my switch but there you go.

1st impressions of the Nokian WR3 are very good.

I went for upsize 225/45 18 for better comfort and that's certainly been delivered, much,much more compliant than the OE Conti's which I've never been a fan of.

What I wasn't expecting was lighter and more neutral steering! amazing.

Only fly in the ointment is that they are slightly noisier on coarse road surfaces, fine every where else. Well worth the trade off for the other characteristics.

The ride height has increased approx 10mm which is barely noticable in profile and wheel arch gap decreased by same amount. Car looks good on them. 

Bring on the snow!

Yves