6sp DSG questions

Hi All,

I have had my Superb Elegance 125Tdi for around a month now, but I still have difficulty in getting used to the DSG down shifting when I am slowing down and braking. It seems especially pronounced between the shift between the 3rd gear down to 2nd and the engine braking kicks in. Try as I might to use the brakes lighly, it seems to snatch and nose the car down. It's really starting to annoy me, because of the sudden lunge foward by the car.

Is this normal? I'm trying to use the brakes as lighly as possible and to ease back on them as the DSG shifts back, but it still catches me out when I least expect it. Should I take it back to Skoda? Is there something they can adjust? Or this is how the car behaves for everyone else?

Regards,

Chris

I have 6spd and do not experience your issues at all.  Mine downshifts smoothly and none of noticeable ""nosing down"" you describe.  I would talk to the dealer and take him for a spin to reassure yourself. A good DSG is a dream!!

I assume you mean that it automagically changes down rather than you using the stick or paddles to do so.

I had a 07 Jetta TDI DSG that had a hard-ish 3-2 change.  I used to drop it into S when rolling up to the lights to avoid the lumpy change.  I performed the gearbox adaptation/learning sequence but this didn't fix it.

My '13 Superb doesn't have this hard 3-2 change.  

I'd start with getting your dealer to recognise that there is a problem.  They'll then hopefully perform the adaptation which requires a series of specific steps with their VAS tool, and then a drive that includes some specific types of driving while the gearbox learns the clutch and mechatronic unit responses.

Yes the automatic changes, I don't use it in manual mode at all.

I just can't beleive I'm already having issues and I've barely had the car for a month, I was hesitant about the DSG after everything I heard and now it seems it's beggining with me.

Hi All,

I have had my Superb Elegance 125Tdi for around a month now, but I still have difficulty in getting used to the DSG down shifting when I am slowing down and braking. It seems especially pronounced between the shift between the 3rd gear down to 2nd and the engine braking kicks in. Try as I might to use the brakes lighly, it seems to snatch and nose the car down. It's really starting to annoy me, because of the sudden lunge foward by the car.

Is this normal? I'm trying to use the brakes as lighly as possible and to ease back on them as the DSG shifts back, but it still catches me out when I least expect it. Should I take it back to Skoda? Is there something they can adjust? Or this is how the car behaves for everyone else?

Regards,

Chris

What's the mileage of this first month? I was experiencing somewhat similar, but it took ~3000 km to settle down. 

But to understand you problem better - at which revs DSG downshifts from 3 to 2nd? And have  you tried S mode? Was it better or worse?

I assume you mean that it automagically changes down rather than you using the stick or paddles to do so.

I had a 07 Jetta TDI DSG that had a hard-ish 3-2 change.  I used to drop it into S when rolling up to the lights to avoid the lumpy change.  I performed the gearbox adaptation/learning sequence but this didn't fix it.

My '13 Superb doesn't have this hard 3-2 change.  

I'd start with getting your dealer to recognise that there is a problem.  They'll then hopefully perform the adaptation which requires a series of specific steps with their VAS tool, and then a drive that includes some specific types of driving while the gearbox learns the clutch and mechatronic unit responses.

How do you do perform the the gearbox adapatation/learning sequence?

What's the mileage of this first month? I was experiencing somewhat similar, but it took ~3000 km to settle down. 

But to understand you problem better - at which revs DSG downshifts from 3 to 2nd? And have  you tried S mode? Was it better or worse?

I bought the car with 2700klm, it now has 4000klm. So I have driven approximately 1300 klm. Before this is was a dealer demo and also driven by dealer himself.

Oook, it was a demo car. That might explain strange behavior.

I would suggest to do 1500-2000 km and if nothing changes - then bring back it to the dealers. And from time to time try to break harder when you can. It helps box to adapt to various driving styles. 

Mine is smooth as silk. You could try manual braking/change downs on a long straight road and see if it does it when you handle the changes. But I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that rough gear changes can be a sign of a low oil level in the automatic box?

I was watching carefully when I was driving home this evening, it seems when it changes gears back it flicks the rpms very high in the process especially 3 to 2 gear. Reading some other forums it seems I might have to take it back to the dealer and get them to reset the DSG. I tried driving the car in S mode, it was smoother but then I don't really want to drive the car in that mode as I want to maintain the low fuel consumption.

I think the DSG is fantastic, after 2000 miles I still love how smooth mine is, really impressed :) 

Only thing I have noticed is, I live on top of a steep hill, when going down this hill for the first time the DSG changed down to 3rd to maximise engine braking, I suppose this is what it should do, but when you can actually go down at between 50-55MPH it does rev like crazy.... Since then all I do is knock it into manual at the top, go down to 4th which is just right for me, then switch back to auto at the bottom.... 

I will say this is not common to the DSG, the dealer loaned me a CityGo with the "ASG" auto and that did the same, thought that poor thing would blow up Lol that did try to go to 2nd going up so manual again... went much better up in 3rd and down in 4th.

I think the DSG is fantastic, after 2000 miles I still love how smooth mine is, really impressed :)

Only thing I have noticed is, I live on top of a steep hill, when going down this hill for the first time the DSG changed down to 3rd to maximise engine braking, I suppose this is what it should do, but when you can actually go down at between 50-55MPH it does rev like crazy.... Since then all I do is knock it into manual at the top, go down to 4th which is just right for me, then switch back to auto at the bottom.... 

I will say this is not common to the DSG, the dealer loaned me a CityGo with the "ASG" auto and that did the same, thought that poor thing would blow up Lol that did try to go to 2nd going up so manual again... went much better up in 3rd and down in 4th.

Yes the newer DSGs include an inclination sensor that change down to give engine braking.

With mine being an older one it doesn't do this.

Phil

Hi All,

Regards,

Chris

That really doesn't sound right at all. If anything, I'd like mine to do a bit more engine braking; I use S going down steep hills to achieve this (older model, so no inclination sensor), and also when rounding bends at speed so as to get decent acceleration off the curve.

I have had my DSG Superb since October 2009. The gearbox has always been smooth in its operation. I have noticed that when going down hill, I can make the gearbox change down to 4th gear by reducing my speed below about 40 mph. If I go even slower then it changes down to 3rd gear to provide more engine braking and keep the speed down. The only time I noticed excessive revs was once when for some reason it changed down from 3rd to 1st. The gearbox is supposed to learn the drivers style and respond to it. Perhaps it needs more time to respond to your style of driving.

• 4 months later...

Glad i found this..... My DSG does the same thing when dropping from 3rd to 2nd as you come up to red traffic lights for instance. It's not something i notice every time but it is noticable quite often. It's under warranty till June this year and is due the DSG service in the next couple of months so will pay the extra few quid for the dealer to do the DSG service and raise the issue with the change from 3rd to 2nd to them at the same time while still within the warranty. :)

• Mine's now done 4000 miles and the DSG has been as smooth as silk.

If I had the problems you describe I'd be hot footing it to the dealer and demonstrate the fault to them.

Should they not be capable of fixing it then ask them what they propose to do. - car exchange? 

Edited by Shanco

I think this is a DMF on it's way out myself, if it's done over 50k it's a real possibility,

The adaption is easy, undo both battery terminals for an hour and once reconnected the pattern should be default and the car will adjust to you over the next 40 miles or so, this could also be the cause if you are a hard braker but the previous owner was a gentle cruiser or vice versa,

Another sign the DMF maybe on it's way is when stopping sharp you'll feel what feels like the body stopped but the engine carried on a few more inches, hth.

I think this is a DMF on it's way out myself, if it's done over 50k it's a real possibility,

The adaption is easy, undo both battery terminals for an hour and once reconnected the pattern should be default and the car will adjust to you over the next 40 miles or so, this could also be the cause if you are a hard braker but the previous owner was a gentle cruiser or vice versa,

Another sign the DMF maybe on it's way is when stopping sharp you'll feel what feels like the body stopped but the engine carried on a few more inches, hth.

I've had a DMF go on the Fabia vRS and this doesn't seem anything like that was. The only issue i have with the DSG is the issue i mention where sometimes you notice it seem to change down from 3rd to 2nd too early meaning the revs are too high.... Other than that it's as smooth as owt.

I've had a DMF go on the Fabia vRS and this doesn't seem anything like that was. The only issue i have with the DSG is the issue i mention where sometimes you notice it seem to change down from 3rd to 2nd too early meaning the revs are too high.... Other than that it's as smooth as owt.

Ahh I see, I thought it was dropping down with a thud rather than a rev bouncer, that should simply be the adaption doing that, lots of fast driving is the normal one that would lead to that as it goes into a more sporty program,

Could be a mechatronic problem but I'd be inclinded to reset the ecu first and drive it moderately for a few miles and see if things have changed.

Ahh I see, I thought it was dropping down with a thud rather than a rev bouncer, that should simply be the adaption doing that, lots of fast driving is the normal one that would lead to that as it goes into a more sporty program,

Could be a mechatronic problem but I'd be inclinded to reset the ecu first and drive it moderately for a few miles and see if things have changed.

I'm not sure what good an ECU reset will do. It seems more likely than basic setting must be carried out.

This forces the gearbox to relearn all the clutch biting points and tolerances. It makes some lovely clunking noises while doing it and it must be performed with your foot on the brake as it does engage the clutch and tries to pull the car forward.

Phil

Are you sure it's not just a driving mode? mine is much more aggressive on down change when in sport mode.

That's where I'm at with it, driving mode/adaption, when I used to reset the Passat it would go from a wild hoe to a lady just like that.