Haldex failure scare

Vrstdi estate

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I've also got a problem with no drive to the rear wheels when the fronts lose traction and spin. It's a 2010 Yeti 4wd se 110 2.0 tdi. This happens on steep snow covered inclines. It doesn't matter whether I take off gently just using the clutch or give it more power, the rear wheels are not driving when the front loses grip. I've also tried driving up an icy road and deliberately using too much power, again the fronts spin and no drive from the year.

Has anyone who had the same issue managed to solve the problem? Any help / advice much appreciated, thanks.

I got mine from Amazon. Like 7 quid or something ... Plenty discussions in the othe parts of briskoda. You need an android device (I borrowed my wife's samsung tablet) and a free app called torque.

These things have no instructions...make sure you read the threads about the order of how to do it...

Or.... You could ask if any members with this kit or the more sophisticated VCDS could meet and do it for you.

I bought mine to check ..as I know that my yeti had stood for a bit with a (possibly) dead battery at the dealers... a postulated cause of this issue.... However mine was fine and in the recent snow it was a star!

Other options are to take it to a dealer.. Worth noting that a fixed price Haldex oil change. ...about every three years.... Is about £65 and they should do a basic fault code check then.. You might have to ask tho'.

Hope you get yours sorted.

Cheers

J

Thanks J, I'll see if I can get one of those off eBay. First I might see if there is anyone nearby with one who knows how to use it!

That's interesting about the battery, I bought my Yeti about 4 months ago so it may also have been sitting with a low battery in the dealers for a while.

Oh ...worth mentioning the blue tooth dongles don't work with apple products. Also don't use the supplied software disks for windows ...they are reputed to be full of viruses.

J

Oh ...worth mentioning the blue tooth dongles don't work with apple products.

My cheapy OBDII dongle off Amazon works fine with my MacBook.  Are you speaking from personal experience or just hearsay?

Edited by ejstubbs

I am ashamed of myself.

Oh dear; I am a long term MacOs user I have fallen into the latter day trap of referring to 'Apple devices' and only meaning mobile apple devices (iOs) like some king of teenager. Forgetting my beloved MacOs..how could I?

Apologies.

To clarify , I meant that The cheappo bluetooth dongle won't work with ipad / iPhone. The wifi one will work (so I hear) but I havet got one so can't vouch for it.

Never thought of using my MacBook to be honest.... But keen to try now!

Is your dongle the Bluetooth one too?

What Mac software are you using?

I may be able to stop sneaking my wife's pink vinyl clad android tablet out to the yeti in a brown paper bag!

Cheers,

John

Hi

I think many purchasers of the odbii dongles buy them to fiddle with settings or to check on things rather than to fix specific problems.

I think earlier in the thread someone did have the Haldex failure and it was fixed by resetting the error code, perhaps you could pm them?

Hope you get it sorted.

J

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I've also got a problem with no drive to the rear wheels when the fronts lose traction and spin. It's a 2010 Yeti 4wd se 110 2.0 tdi. This happens on steep snow covered inclines. It doesn't matter whether I take off gently just using the clutch or give it more power, the rear wheels are not driving when the front loses grip. I've also tried driving up an icy road and deliberately using too much power, again the fronts spin and no drive from the year.

Has anyone who had the same issue managed to solve the problem? Any help / advice much appreciated, thanks.

I'm the OP and it was an error generated by a low battery; the ECU shut down all non essential functions to save power. The dealer reset everything and all has been fine since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Yeti has just turned 3 years old, and I had started to suspect that my 4 wheel drive was not working as it should with wheel spin off the line in damp conditions. One morning after it had been parked for a few days it would not start so I put a new battery on it. Now I am convinced the traction is back to how it should be with just a new battery and no fault codes read or reset.

While I can not be 100% sure the 4 wheel drive was not working before the new battery I am sure it is now. Could someone confirm or say otherwise that correcting problems should clear fault codes without visiting dealers or investing in diagnostic equipment ourselves.

Edited by danbarnes

When I was struggling with my Skoda dealer who wouldn't accept that there was a fault with the headlights because there was no fault code in the memory, they told me that the system only remembers the codes for something like 20 "live sessions". ie each time you start the car, it forgets the codes from the oldest "live session". (I can't remember if the figure was 20, or 15 or 30, but you get the idea). So because it was summer & I wasn't doing much driving in the dark, the car had no record of headlamp faults. The dealer suggested that as soon as I experienced the fault, I should get it to the garage ASAP before the code was lost.

So, yes, if the fault has not occurred recently, then it'll drop out of the memory.

The above assumes that my dealer wasn't making all this up of course!