What to look out for on a used 170 4x4

octavius56

Hi.

I'm putting a reserve on a 2012 12 plate 170 Elegance 4x4. Its a decent price/mileage. Candy White, plus front parking sensors & heated front screen (2 options that make it attractive!)

Is there anything specific to look out for?? It's being sold by a (non Skoda) dealer i'm hoping it's at least not been cut & shut, but are there any tell tale sounds/feelings/issues to look for?

Thanks!!

Not sure what your budget is or where you are, but there's a nice 2013 Candy White L&K for sale privately just outside Hereford with 17,500 miles on and the remainder of Skoda warranty / service.

I test drive it and it's very good.

No idea if it's got heated screen though.

It is/was on Autotrader.

They may have been fitting them as standard at this stage, but make sure the clear foils are fitted to the doors to reduce/prevent paint blistering due to stone chipping.

They may have been fitting them as standard at this stage, but make sure the clear foils are fitted to the doors to reduce/prevent paint blistering due to stone chipping.

That's something I'll be checking on mine when I get it next Saturday.

Providing you are in the UK then it will still be under warranty (providing it is under 60K miles) so I wouldn’t worry about any of the mechanics, just make sure it has been serviced on schedule (ideally by Škoda) and there is no damage to it.

Car checked out fine. No sign of paint blisters anywhere. Clear plastic over rear arches in place and undersides look spotless. Worst part was a very long wait for the dealer to go through all the FCA mumbo jumbo. Can I afford to buy the car? Well I'm paying cash so....yes??

Maxidot showed 55mpg having crawled around GRIMsby then a decent lick back to Manchester. Taking into account optimistic electronics am still pretty happy with the first day of ownership!

Thanks muddyboots! Have had one or two "you retired?" comments on Facebook (am 35) but having looked and Audi's, BMWs etc the 170 elegance seems to give much more bang for buck and if its as reliable as the Octavia I have as well, will be smiling for a long time to come!

• 4 weeks later...

First few weeks of ownership and can't really find any criticism!! Seat took a bit of adjusting before I felt comfy is probably the only thought!! It shifts as well!! The 320d that tried to jump me leaving the m6 toll has arude awakening