Yeti Searching

Wishful

Hi Everyone.  I've just joined the forum hoping to get some advice on my intended Yeti purchase.  I have done some research and my idea at the moment is to look for a 1.8 Tsi 4x4 manual gearbox .... petrol of course. (I think that's what the TSI is)  I tow a 900kg caravan with a Renault Scenic, but I would like to have the advantage of 4 wheeled drive for some of the slippy grassy slopes on some of the sites during the rainy weather that I often get when on hol..  The Yeti seems to fit the bill really well, the quality is pretty obvious by reading owners report on the web.  Alternatives I have looked at are Kia, Nissan Qashqai, Nissan X Trail, Rav4 and the Honda CRV.  All seem to have more reported snags than the Skodas do, although I realise there is no such thing as a guaranteed endless fault free vehicle, however, the Yeti seems to fair pretty well as a trouble free machine.  I'm wanting to get a used vehicle costing in the region of £8000, one of the problems at the moment is finding out where I can visit some dealers in my area. Anyway I would welcome any advice on offer, plus I will slap my questions on here as they crop up.   I'm hoping that there will be some caravanners on the forum who already tow with the 1.8..... fingers crossed.

Regards to All,

Ian

I've looked at the 1.8 Tsi and ended up going for the CR170; not that I'll be towing.

My research suggests that you'll be looking at a lower spec / higher mileage 1.8 in that price bracket as £10-11,000 gets an elegance of about 60,000 miles.

I've seen a few below £10,000, but not that many decent ones.

Good luck with your search.

Using the Skoda used car locator only turns up one 4x4 Yeti near your budget.....

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/Results.aspx

A few more on Autotrader, but sadly more than your £8000 budget.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/yeti/postcode/yo19pl/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/1-7l_to_1-9l/quicksearch/true

if you are towing wouldnt you be better with the diesel for the torque.

Before i bought mine, i looked around for 1 that i wanted, but virtually all i found were 1.2 petrols, & this was just as the FL had been released, so i was hoping there would be a few 1.4 pre FL around, but i only ever found 1 but it was not very well specced. 

As i have found now owning 1 why people keep them.

Good luck finding one you want.

I tow a 900kg low profile [eriba pop top] van with the 110bhp 2WD diesel and it is a very good match. My previous combination was a 100bhp diesel Touran pulling 1300kg of a similar style van. Whilst not brisk I never had any problem keeping up with traffic. I think the 1.8 4x4 is a bit of overkill really. You do not need it, or is it a matter that you want it?

Below you will find my set-up and a couple of a hill encountered on holiday .I don't really think you would be tackling anything much steeper than this.

Colin

post-113163-0-25126900-1413491895_thumb.jpg

post-113163-0-25519400-1413491927_thumb.jpg

post-113163-0-53802000-1413491949_thumb.jpg

Edited by eribaMotters

Thanks guys for all your comments, I suppose I would be able to go over budget if the right machine comes along, I sort of convinced myself that I needed to avoid diesels due to the very low mileage I do weekly together with the particulate problem - but maybe I'm over reacting with this filter thing. I was thinking earlier today that if the filters were such a problem the roads would be littered with broken down diesel cars (which you don't see) My other reason for wanting a 4x4, apart from slippy caravan sites, is that I live in a small village between York and Selby, the village has been in existence since the days of the Vikings but our local highways people don't seem to know where it is when the severe winter weather descends. Maybe I should buy a gritting lorry instead eh? Seriously, since I retired my weekly mileage is something like 30 miles (apart from my caravan trips of course). That's the story so far...

Ian.

Pretty sharp and steep!

Where were those pics tak

12390 Belcastel in the South of France. http://chateaudebelcastel.com/english/ Unfortunately we ended un taking this scenic route as we missed the sign. We drove through the village and had to turn around by reverseing into a farmers field and then come back into the village. This was one way only, so we had to go up and via the top of the town where the castle was. This photo shows view down to the campsite with us just left on centre.

Colin

post-113163-0-31351700-1413522244_thumb.jpg

Edited by eribaMotters
  • Like 1

Nice place. I can see the distinct profile of your Yeti.

I stayed 100km east of there at Mende for a trail riding holiday,  :)  

I've seen some 1.2 petrols & a couple of 110 diesels drop below £10,000, but all low spec & high mileage.

Item 281412914154 on eBsy is perhaps the cheapest 1.8tsi at present £8500 with 71,000 miles but some bodywork damage.

I'm new on here too & looking at buying a Yeti as a tow car also.

In Practical Caravan this month they do a review on the greenline towing 1250 kg van & it does well. They say its not fast, but they would prefer stability over speed everytime.

There's a few diesels about but over 11k for a decent one with not too many miles on.