Coding new transponder 2000 Fabia

peterlg

Because I like my girlfriend's Fabia so much, I've gone and bought myself one. It's a 1.4 16v, and is the Elegance model, so has alloys, a full sand coloured interior and four electric windows (two of which do not work, but that's besides the point).

I bought it for a great price as it needs a fair few jobs doing, but all are within my mechanical ability, but the one that's stumping me at the moment is getting a second key as there is only one present with the car.

I understand the different parts of the key: the blade, transponder and remote. Programming the remote looks to be easy and getting a blade cut is just a journey to a key cutting man, but the transponder is the tricky bit.

I've done a decent amount of reading, but this has led me to ask my own question: simply, how do I code a new ID48 T6 transpondermajiggy to the immobiliser in my Fabia?

I have a blue eBay cable that works with VAG-COM 409.1, and I believe this is the limited version. I should be able to get access to a proper VAG-COM cable and full software if necessary. I hope to be able to do this myself as I enjoy this type of thing and the learning that goes with it, but I understand that not everything is possible at home.

hiya mate, i have just done this to my car, what you will need is vag tacho ( £10 ebay ) and VCDS  what you will need to do is:

use vag tacho to retrieve you skc if you do not have it then you want to use VCDS

test on car > instuments > login > enter SKC > adaptation > channel 21 > you will see a value of how many keys are already coded to the car you want to change the value under where you entered the channel number to the amount of keys you will be adding/removing then then test it and save it > close controller keep going back to the main menu the car should then code the key> remove key and insert new key to coe by turning onto the ignition ( VCDS will tell you this )

hope this helps

• Like 1

hiya mate, i have just done this to my car, what you will need is vag tacho ( £10 ebay ) and VCDS  what you will need to do is:

use vag tacho to retrieve you skc if you do not have it then you want to use VCDS

test on car > instuments > login > enter SKC > adaptation > channel 21 > you will see a value of how many keys are already coded to the car you want to change the value under where you entered the channel number to the amount of keys you will be adding/removing then then test it and save it > close controller keep going back to the main menu the car should then code the key> remove key and insert new key to coe by turning onto the ignition ( VCDS will tell you this )

hope this helps

Not that I'm averse to a bargain, but isn't any software supplied with these dongles "hooky"?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Tom, I've ordered VAG Tacho from a company on eBay. I've also bought a new transponder, so when the new software comes, I'll give it ago, but may need to get in contact with you if that's ok.

The cable and copy of VAG Tacho arrived, and I've used it to read the immobiliser PIN from the dash. Currently waiting for the flip key I've ordered to arrive, which it's hopefully the correct model number for my Fabia.

I had no problems with the copy of VAG Tacho I bought, but thank you for the warning, it's not something I'll be playing about with any how!

As an update, I've now got the flip key cut and the remote linked to the car, all is working fine there. Final step is coding the transponder; I'm just waiting to borrow a full VAGCOM system, as VCDS-Lite allows you to login to the instrument cluster, but not change anything.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finished this job last week. Thank you to all who helped with advice. All in, it cost me about £48 to get the new key sorted, but I learnt a bit and £48 is generally less than what an auto key guy or dealer will charge.

Here's a summary of what had to be done:

1. Use VAGTacho, bought on eBay for around £10, to get the SKC from the instrument cluster. In VAGTacho, connect to VDO and then click read PIN, if all the drivers are installed correctly and you've got it plugged into the car with the ignition on, it should be as simple as that. If you can't get the SKC, or don't already have it, you can't code a key, so give up at this stage if the SKC is evading you.
  2. Get hold of a remote key fob that works with you car. There was very little information regarding which serial numbers worked with which, so after reading this guide: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/VAG-keys-VW-SEAT-SKODA-key-info-/10000000019533053/g.html I got in contact with Robert, who replied quickly, with a very helpful reponse. My key serial number ended in AA, but Robert advised me that an AG/CT would be suitable.
  3. Buy a suitable transponder. I got an ID48 T6 Transponder Chip for £5.19 on eBay.
  4. Get the blade cut. I went to Thomas Locksmiths Ltd in Burgess Hill, who charged £8 per blade.
  5. Use a full registered version of VCDS to code the key to the immobiliser using the RossTech website for reference:
Key Matching

Prerequisites:

• While adapting each key, make sure to place the other keys away from the ignition lock (reader coil). The passenger seat is an adequate place.
  • You must have all of the keys you intend to be able to use, including the valet key if you have one.
  • Battery voltage at least 12.5 V.

[select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Login - 11]

• 4-digit PIN
    • Enter zero followed by the 4-digit PIN. For example, if your PIN is 1234, enter 01234.
    • [Do It!]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter 21 in "Channel Number".
[Read]
The "Stored Value" is the number of keys currently matched.
Enter a "new value" corresponding to the total number of keys to be matched, including any existing keys.
Any old keys are automatically being cleared. All keys, including existing keys, must be matched at the same time.
[save]
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

• Repeat the following steps until all Keys have been matched:
    • Switch Ignition OFF and remove Key.
    • Insert the next Key and switch Ignition ON.
    • The Immobilizer Warning Light will light up for ~2 seconds, wait until it goes out, indicating that the key has been matched.

Note: The above steps must be completed within 60 seconds after saving the Adaptation!

• Like 2