speed cameras POI

Yes it is but there are a couple of things you need to do.

Firstly you need your speed camera POI database. (I use the PocketGPSWorld database).

Then you need to have a read through this thread.... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246805-guide-to-vw-poi-collections-loader-site/

That shows you how to convert the speed camera database you have into a POI file that your Columbus can use.

Note the Columbus can only show a limited number of POIs. When using speed camera POIs on my TomTom app I have different POIs for each speed limit and camera type whereas on the Columbus I just have a POI category for the Camera type.

• Like 1

Yes it is but there are a couple of things you need to do.

Firstly you need your speed camera POI database. (I use the PocketGPSWorld database).

Then you need to have a read through this thread.... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246805-guide-to-vw-poi-collections-loader-site/

That shows you how to convert the speed camera database you have into a POI file that your Columbus can use.

Note the Columbus can only show a limited number of POIs. When using speed camera POIs on my TomTom app I have different POIs for each speed limit and camera type whereas on the Columbus I just have a POI category for the Camera type.

Thanks for this.

Aren't they safety cameras?

I'll get my coat and run for cover

I'm not sure about safety cameras, all I ever see when driving is signs stating "Police speed check" or "Average speed cameras"

Make sure you use this link to the VW POI builder - first one on the post has now changed

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/rns-510/poi-listen-sammlung.html

With regards to the down load required I always use this one:

One tip - when saving the db3 data file to the your SD card make sure the db3 file has a name of at least 9 digits and that its saved in a folder called PERSONALPOI thats in the ROOT folder of the SD card.

Navman / Mio (ASC) [uK - Consolidated by type (Gatso,Mobile,etc) | pMobiles: Yes

As WaveyDavey points out due to the limited number of user poi catagories available only the the types of camera can be shown - I find this ok as the Columbus generally has the speed limit already shown on the display.

I do wish that you could have the option of audible warnings if required but it would seem not.

• Like 1

I do wish that you could have the option of audible warnings if required but it would seem not.

Audible camera alerts are possible it's just not directly from the POIs though.

If you have the pocketGPSworld cameralert app then you can set the app to alert you to cameras via Bluetooth. So when you approach a camera you see it on the screen as an icon and you get the warning from your phone via the Bluetooth in the car out of the speakers.

Basically it comes through as though you have an incoming call etc... It does mean you lose the satnav screen for a few seconds while the warning is read out but at least you get audible warnings. :)

• Like 1

WaveyDavey,

Thanks for the info - that sounds interesting - my only problem is that I'm a Blackberry user (Companies choice !) and I don't think the app is available for Blackberry.

Perhaps next time  :happy:

Audible camera alerts are possible it's just not directly from the POIs though.

If you have the pocketGPSworld cameralert app then you can set the app to alert you to cameras via Bluetooth. So when you approach a camera you see it on the screen as an icon and you get the warning from your phone via the Bluetooth in the car out of the speakers.

Basically it comes through as though you have an incoming call etc... It does mean you lose the satnav screen for a few seconds while the warning is read out but at least you get audible warnings. :)

Thanksfor the info I'll give that one a go.

Cheers

WaveyDavey,

Thanks for the info - that sounds interesting - my only problem is that I'm a Blackberry user (Companies choice !) and I don't think the app is available for Blackberry.

Perhaps next time  :happy:

Yes as far as I know it's just for iOS and android..... Although I think it is only available for android at the moment due to some issues they are having with Apple.