red oil light

hi there my car is a 2002 octavia elegance 1.8t estate 170k miles. problem is my red oil pressure light is coming on every so often as in it came on a month ago while in ireland on holiday  then been off for a month then now its back on a bit more frequent. what would be your first thoughts on this? pick up pipe blocked or different? my dipstick has disintegrated too and i have lost a few bits down there too so for sure some of that will be in the gauze. garage wants to check pressure first as he thinks maybe a dodgy sensor but im skint so dont want to pay for pressure check for him then to say its pick up pipe blocked and then pay for that or vice versa im really not sure what to do. thanks

Edited by discusdan

Defo pick up pipe. Also flush or replace oil lines to turbo and make sure garage has done this as poor lubrication can gum up the hoses and you will be back to square one.

Do not over rev car and avoid driving as much as you can as you could blow turbo as insufficient oil will heat up the turbo bearing.

• Like 2

After an hour trying to wrap a stupid chain around oil filter I give up and will be taking it to a garage. Thanks everybody

Best way is the socket ones that clamp on filter with 3 locating arms they tighten down on filter as you undo it. Or special oil filter pliers which are just as good. I use them all the time.

Best way is the socket ones that clamp on filter with 3 locating arms they tighten down on filter as you undo it. Or special oil filter pliers which are just as good. I use them all the time.

These  are the pliers I use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-FILTER-PLIERS-WRENCH-CAR-REMOVER-REMOVAL-TOOL-FOR-AUDI-VW-VAXHALL-RENUALT-/111395088144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19efaa2710

or this one which i use too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Oil-Filter-Removal-Tool-Adjustable-Remover-Plier-Wrench-3-Leg-1-2-or-3-8-DR-/301225905285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4622768c85

all sorted got a mate whos a mechanic and he did it for me. absolutely blocked up used a pin to clean what we can ( will change for new when i can ) very surprised any oil was getting through. engine sounds alot quieter !

all sorted got a mate whos a mechanic and he did it for me. absolutely blocked up used a pin to clean what we can ( will change for new when i can ) very surprised any oil was getting through. engine sounds alot quieter !

result......