Skoda Fabia vrs mk1 vrs se tdi catches fire

So can I have some feedback as to why this happened my vrs se mk1 had full service history from main dealers and only 49000 on clock I have own several more skodas so devonutopia and nice yellow vrs lets have some useful comments Skoda uk and Lv insurance are aware

The fire service did break the windows the bonnet buckled no crash damage had been running well returning 65 mpg and performing well. My wife had used it that day to travel 3 miles to the supermarket parked it on drive 10 minutes later there was a loud bang the alarm went off and flames were coming out from under the bonnet .the car was a deisel vrs so any clues dealer and Skoda uk have not got any ideas at present

Well, diesel doesn't burn really - oil can burn, but not sure how.....

Can you give more details, like we know you'd done a 3 mile trip, but when did the fire start - whilst engine ticking over? was engine turned off?

I am not sure how, but the only thing I can imagine is somehow a fuel pipe maybe popped off somewhere and sprayed diesel on to something red hot like the exhaust manifold?  Has it had any kind of recent repair work to fuelling, oil lines, or similar?

As said, it;s difficult to give feedback when this is the first car I've known do this.

TEN minutes later?  There should be nothing to start a fire in my opinion then apart from someone having firebombed the car somehow.   Sounds harsh, but I can't see a car being turned off for 10 minutes bursting in to flames like this.

Possible that someone rolled a bottle containing petrol and a lit rag under the car's engine bay?

• Like 1

With 10 minutes passing I can't even see anything would be hot enough to be a source of ignition either - especially as a 3 mile trip won't even warm the engine up to max.  I still sense foul play :(  "small bang" doesn't do anything to sway my thoughts either.

• Like 4

With 10 minutes passing I can't even see anything would be hot enough to be a source of ignition either. I still sense foul play :(

I'm with Jason on this one, if it had been mechanical it would've gone whilst driving IMHO as everything is a lot cooler after ten mins

With 10 minutes passing I can't even see anything would be hot enough to be a source of ignition either - especially as a 3 mile trip won't even warm the engine up to max.  I still sense foul play :(  "small bang" doesn't do anything to sway my thoughts either.

Likewise- I had a bad leak on my 1.4

Edited by VWD

I owned the car from new ,no modifications ,I have nobody who would want to firebomb me to my knowledge the incident witnessed by neighbours after the bang I suppose it may be possible that the fire had started during the drive and continued smouldering but my wife who drove it that afternoon had not noticed anything when she took the shopping out of the car and came into the house. I was not present till 8 pm that day as I was returning from London so the car was burnt out when I got home but I normally drive the car and it had been fine on Friday ,the car exploded on Sunday. I suspect some sort of electromechanical failure myself but what?

• Like 1

No evidence of fuel leaks eg oil on drive or at parking spaces at work no increased fuel consumption no strange noises. Could the fuel pump compress the fuel so that the pressure was high enough to explode?

No evidence of fuel leaks eg oil on drive or at parking spaces at work no increased fuel consumption no strange noises. Could the fuel pump compress the fuel so that the pressure was high enough to explode?

The fuel pump is mechanical and runs off the camshaft, so not unless the engine was running no. My guess is someone started the fire on purpose. Could have also been a wiring fault or the battery giving up. Stranger things have happend.

Edit: Might be worth looking into but I know this has happened before and been posted on the forum with pictures and info.