Skoda Fabia vrs mk1 vrs se tdi catches fire

The thing is as well, OK, maybe an electrical short started a spark - possible source of ignition, but where is the fuel?  I have tried using diesel from a can to get a fire going and it really doesn't like burning at all.  Very poor combustability.  There really shouldn't be any fuel under pressure too with the car off.  The only pump is in the tank (cam driven fuel pumps in the engine).  I am as baffled as anyone if this does turn out to be an actual mechanical issue with the car, but finding out now isn't going to be easy I suspect.

• Like 2

Anyone who has ever shorted a bit of wire across a car battery will have seen what 670Amps of 12v DC can do!! Given that there are unfused circuits on the car (Starter and alternator the most obvious) the potential is there for a short which will almost instantly start a blaze. A mate of mine used to own a Peugeot breakers and you would not believe the amount of cars (Petrol and diesel) that came in with the front ends burnt out....all put down to electrical faults!!

• Like 2

One of my friends had a Golf that "spontaneously" caught fire whilst away on holiday. It started in the engine bay, there was a clear mark on the bonnet above the battery, and the cause was confirmed by investigators (insurance/fire) as electrical.

Anyone who has ever shorted a bit of wire across a car battery will have seen what 670Amps of 12v DC can do!! Given that there are unfused circuits on the car (Starter and alternator the most obvious) the potential is there for a short which will almost instantly start a blaze. A mate of mine used to own a Peugeot breakers and you would not believe the amount of cars (Petrol and diesel) that came in with the front ends burnt out....all put down to electrical faults!!

If foul play is ruled out I would suspect something like this! Sad to see but it can happen.

The thing is as well, OK, maybe an electrical short started a spark - possible source of ignition, but where is the fuel?  I have tried using diesel from a can to get a fire going and it really doesn't like burning at all.  Very poor combustability.  There really shouldn't be any fuel under pressure too with the car off.  The only pump is in the tank (cam driven fuel pumps in the engine).  I am as baffled as anyone if this does turn out to be an actual mechanical issue with the car, but finding out now isn't going to be easy I suspect.

I've witnessed a bloke arc weld the steel filler neck of a Ford Cargo with half a tank of diesel in it and no combustion.

• Like 1

I've witnessed a bloke arc weld the steel filler neck of a Ford Cargo with half a tank of diesel in it and no combustion.

arc weld= electrical high current low voltage arching, no problem on steel but those sort of tempretures on wiring looms / plastic parts.....recipe for disaster.....on a brighter note after all the recent VRS SE Value posts it wiould be interesting to see what the insurance company offer on this one!!!

• Like 2

Small bang in diesel car.........................

As others have suggested I recon the battery blew up......................seen it happen before......makes a bloody awful mess................but how come the drivers seat caught fire?...where did the fire break through the bulkhead?

• Like 1

Been on some car fires in my time and looks like bonnet was forced open to gain entry to the engine bay by the fire fighters, you'll be surprised what damage can be done once the fire breaks into the passenger compartment, bang could have been airbag device or tyres, when the unburned gases enter into the passenger compartment it's a ticking time bomb awaiting for fresh air to mix with it. There is also alot of heat locked up in a small area. Sorry to see your car like it is, hope they can determine what was the cause.

My vRS very nearly caught fire due to an electrical fault. I had a dash cam fitted, not earthed properly. The cable snagged and burnt out behind the trim on the A pillar filling the car with smoke as I was driving.

Small bang in diesel car.........................

As others have suggested I recon the battery blew up......................seen it happen before......makes a bloody awful mess................but how come the drivers seat caught fire?...where did the fire break through the bulkhead?

thinking about it, If the battery blew up,I wouldn't expect to see the bonnet folded like that; I'd expect to see a bent up part on the NS of the bonnet above the battery, not the damage pictured.

To me this is not battery explosion damage;

post-73816-0-92964500-1413846359_thumb.jpg