Rattles and whine

Agent X20

Test drove a brand new Yeti yesterday, rattles coming from the rear nearside....  ((thanks to Briskoda and previous posts)...are they still having trouble with the back door striker plates...??) took a couple of photos and there is a larger gap on the nearside rear door than the offside.. ( a lot more noticeable in the flesh..)  would that might be what is causing the rattle...  easily fixable..? or long drawn out processess taking car back to dealer when car always behaves itself impecably.... etc etc..

Yeti1.jpg

Yeti2.jpg

Last Yeti was petrol and 2WD, this is 4... Forgot that diesels need a bit more poke to get going and at low revs and pulling away there is an audible whine from the rear.. is this the 4WD coming into play...?

It's the right colour and the right price.. snog, marry or avoid....? Any assistance much appreciated as it's doing me head in... :) ...thanx..

Well I wouldn't buy that particular vehicle!! Gap looks very suspect for a new car!

No whine from the back of mine, but I did have door clonks which have been cured with some Gummi and adjusting the strker plates in about 1mm (which I did myelf)

Dave

TIBET III developed an intermittent rattle from the near side rear corner. I eventually sussed it was the tail lamp unit which when you I gently lent on it 'forwards' I could here it touching the bodywork.

Simple case of applying a bit of foam between the lamp unit and the bodywork and all is silent.

Edit to add - the lamp unit wasn't the issue. Strange thing was it went quiet for a while. Final sussing was the tailgate - adjusted the tailgate bump stops out 1mm and all silent. Definitely! 

None of the three TIBETs have whined from the back end. Non equal door gaps would concern me somewhat. Does all this point to a thwack on the back end at somestage to both the bodywork and running gear? 

Plenty more Yetis in the hills....

• 2 months later...

My yeti had developed a clunk sound which appears to come from front offside wheel area when going over a noticeable bump...there is also rattling like a stone in a box when going over rough surface, coming from the same area. Been back to dealers who have tightened everything but not noticeably better. I used to enjoy driving my yeti, but these two problems spoil it somewhat. Dealer says can't find anything wrong...do I just have to put up with this.

My yeti had developed a clunk sound which appears to come from front offside wheel area when going over a noticeable bump...there is also rattling like a stone in a box when going over rough surface, coming from the same area. Been back to dealers who have tightened everything but not noticeably better. I used to enjoy driving my yeti, but these two problems spoil it somewhat. Dealer says can't find anything wrong...do I just have to put up with this.

Welcome.

A few more details would help such as age of car, mileage and which model.

Have you checked to see if it has a stone jammed between the brake disc and the backplate? This is a fairly common problem.