colour change is a go

so why the car is not working due to me blowing the speedo and waiting for software to code a new one, i have decided to wrap the car in Gloss white, seen a picture on google of a focus in gloss white and loved the colour so i jumped on ebay, contacted a friend who deals with carbon wrap and asked him for 20 meters of gloss white, for which he is sending over to me :) 

i will keep you posted, hopefully get it Wednesday and weather permitted start wrapping on my day off on friday, only issue is wrapping the right side of the car as its parked against a wall and i can't move it hahaha 

should be fun

Fun, it will definitely not be :D Make sure you have a nice clean garage, plenty of hands, plenty of time and patience etc.

I'm wondering is it anything like how they apply those window films ? They spray water on them and apply the film to the spotlessly clean car prior to tweaking out the bubbles.

The wetness allows the film to move before the adhesive sets and its a "one attempt" with the material.

Where they really make their money is on the curved areas where you get both stretching and shrinking.

I attempted a "larger" vinyl application before, with the wrong time, wrong conditions, wrong place, wrong people :D  Never again, best left to those that have the expertise, conditions and environment to suite the application or you might just blow a wad on vinyl you can't apply properly

Also plastidip and vinyl are considered "temporary" colour changes, in reality you can't get better really than a proper paint spray

Plus insurance may frown on vinyl as a "modification" however they don't insure colours anymore do they? Proper spraying wins every time

Sorry not to sound like a "troll" but moreso the voice of experience, been there done that, kind of fail :D "to succeed first you must fail", if you have got a lot of expensive wrap you might not be so keen to blow it. The stuff I got was like Carbon dinoc but was extremely hard too, very difficult to stretch out of doors and think it really would have benefited from heatguns, etc...

goodluck m8 ive seen a 530d being wrapped its hard work trust

i have watched a few videos of cars being wrapped before, plus i have experience wrapping no harm in trying :p

Tom, please stop while you've still got a car left :D

what do you mean? I'm not stoping till either the engine blows ( probably next on the list ) or car prefers to be a convertible, should see my list of things to do 

Fun, it will definitely not be :D Make sure you have a nice clean garage, plenty of hands, plenty of time and patience etc.

I'm wondering is it anything like how they apply those window films ? They spray water on them and apply the film to the spotlessly clean car prior to tweaking out the bubbles.

The wetness allows the film to move before the adhesive sets and its a "one attempt" with the material.

Where they really make their money is on the curved areas where you get both stretching and shrinking.

I attempted a "larger" vinyl application before, with the wrong time, wrong conditions, wrong place, wrong people :D  Never again, best left to those that have the expertise, conditions and environment to suite the application or you might just blow a wad on vinyl you can't apply properly

Also plastidip and vinyl are considered "temporary" colour changes, in reality you can't get better really than a proper paint spray

Plus insurance may frown on vinyl as a "modification" however they don't insure colours anymore do they? Proper spraying wins every time

Sorry not to sound like a "troll" but moreso the voice of experience, been there done that, kind of fail :D "to succeed first you must fail", if you have got a lot of expensive wrap you might not be so keen to blow it. The stuff I got was like Carbon dinoc but was extremely hard too, very difficult to stretch out of doors and think it really would have benefited from heatguns, etc...

i have got experience of wrapping under my belt, i have all the tools swell just not the environment i will be doing it outdoors :( might but up the markee in the yard where the car is and wrap inside it , i know i have to inform the DVLA and i will get on to the insurance when i get it, cars off the road at the moment. "to succeed first you must fail" i love this quote it is so true  

i have watched a few videos of cars being wrapped before, plus i have experience wrapping no harm in trying :p

what do you mean? I'm not stoping till either the engine blows ( probably next on the list ) or car prefers to be a convertible, should see my list of things to do

i have got experience of wrapping under my belt, i have all the tools swell just not the environment i will be doing it outdoors :( might but up the markee in the yard where the car is and wrap inside it , i know i have to inform the DVLA and i will get on to the insurance when i get it, cars off the road at the moment. "to succeed first you must fail" i love this quote it is so true

Erm from what I recall its only a temporary colour change.

Erm from what I recall its only a temporary colour change.

yeah thats what i thought to, was reading online before and the DVLA have changed things now 

http://www.vehiclewrapfilms.co.uk/content/2014-04-03-dvla-vehicle-wrap-registration-changes

although on the 3M website it still says they don't mind :/ will give them a ring 

Tom, please stop while you've still got a car left :D

Funny you should say that but since I first replied to your post, today I was prepping the roof waiting to apple my wrap to it so I removed my shark fin aerial them found out my wrap was too short so gave up and came in, later I watch it rain (like a monsoon) from my window then five minutes ago I was scrolling down forums and seen "aerial removal" and remembered I hadnt put my shark fin back on :/ ran out to the car and well it's pretty wet in there hagaha taped up the hole ( both sides) and come back in feeling like a complete tool ;)

• Like 1

Funny you should say that but since I first replied to your post, today I was prepping the roof waiting to apple my wrap to it so I removed my shark fin aerial them found out my wrap was too short so gave up and came in, later I watch it rain (like a monsoon) from my window then five minutes ago I was scrolling down forums and seen "aerial removal" and remembered I hadnt put my shark fin back on :/ ran out to the car and well it's pretty wet in there hagaha taped up the hole ( both sides) and come back in feeling like a complete tool ;)

:D

• Like 1

You say your vinyl was too thin? As is it wasn't wide enough? Or you have cut it too thin?

If it's not wide enough on the roll then im going to burst your bubble here mate, but thats not wrapping vinyl... That's sign vinyl, as in Callander vinyl, that's why its 1220 wide and not 1530 wide, and yes there's a difference.

Vehicle vinyl is 1530 wide, cast and normally bubble free. Sign is 1220 wide, thinner, not bubble free and a colander film, meaning it doesn't react well to heat and cannot be post heated, I assume you know about post heating?

What brand and How much did you pay for the material if you don't mind me asking?

If it's what I think it is, and it must be as the only cast wrapping films that come in 1220 are the avery supreme chromes, then you are going to struggle your tits off, and **** your car.

A decent wrap film should cost around £20 per metre, that's what I pay trade for it, if you've paid less you've wasted your money and bought some crap, I dont want to sound like a **** but there's a reason that people like me do it proffessionaly as a job, it's a skill, and yes, with the right material you my get something like a half decent wrap, but you've already fallen at the first fence if that material is wrong.

If you have any questions, give me a shout, I'll try to help if I can, I've being wrapping vehicles for over 10 years now, so there's not a lot I don't know...

Jon

• Like 2

You say your vinyl was too thin? As is it wasn't wide enough? Or you have cut it too thin?

If it's not wide enough on the roll then im going to burst your bubble here mate, but thats not wrapping vinyl... That's sign vinyl, as in Callander vinyl, that's why its 1220 wide and not 1530 wide, and yes there's a difference.

Vehicle vinyl is 1530 wide, cast and normally bubble free. Sign is 1220 wide, thinner, not bubble free and a colander film, meaning it doesn't react well to heat and cannot be post heated, I assume you know about post heating?

What brand and How much did you pay for the material if you don't mind me asking?

If it's what I think it is, and it must be as the only cast wrapping films that come in 1220 are the avery supreme chromes, then you are going to struggle your tits off, and **** your car.

A decent wrap film should cost around £20 per metre, that's what I pay trade for it, if you've paid less you've wasted your money and bought some crap, I dont want to sound like a **** but there's a reason that people like me do it proffessionaly as a job, it's a skill, and yes, with the right material you my get something like a half decent wrap, but you've already fallen at the first fence if that material is wrong.

If you have any questions, give me a shout, I'll try to help if I can, I've being wrapping vehicles for over 10 years now, so there's not a lot I don't know...

Jon

my material is 3M i get it from my mate in liverpool who wraps cars, i get the left over rolls off him for about 50 quid a roll, its no use to him so he does me a deal. what i meant by my wrap was too small is i didn't have enough on my role left so i have to wait till my order arrives, the size is 1.52M x 5M thats usually the rolls i get, i have wrapped things before but i will drop you a pm as theres a few things  will be stuck with