front wishbone bush

Cooke

Thanks, mate. Thought it might.Never saw the need to batter down the front door, when it was easier to nip in through the rear.

For those looking for replacements, http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/product-details/Front+Wishbone+Rear+Bush+/508.html.

I checked with a distributor and ,yes ,a pack does both sides at £32.94. Bloke I spoke to at distributor sounded well genned up ,and he'd done a few golf & polo ones. I've done a few of this sort over the years and I hate them. I could get the proper rubber bushes for half that, but for £20 ,is it worth the hassle trying to fit the new ones.  And if taken to a machine place , it would possibly cost at least £"10 to press out and fit the new ones.

Bear in mind that the Powerflex ones can cause increased noise and harshness. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/262887-powerflex-console-bushes-increased-vibration/

The whole point of the OEM bush being flexible is to damp out noise and vibration. I fitted PSB ones and eventually noticed increased harshness, so I replaced them with Meyle HD ones which are far quieter. I just bought some threaded rod from B&Q and some flat bar and made my own fitting tool. The job was a doddle as the housing on the Meyle bushes is plastic like the OEM ones and it doesn't take an awful lot of pressure to get them in.

Tool I knocked up...

SS858816.jpg

I found when replacing rear bushes that by using washing up liquid and having a dummy run first by pushing the wishbone spigot in & out of the rubber bush a few times prior to installing the bush, makes it very easy to insert the spigot into position, without having to resort to using ratchet straps etc.

DB.

First, an error correction. Powerflex pricing is very confusing. it's not pack price, but price per bush. Car needs two bushes, so pack is two ,so pack is two times price per bush. So price is approx £65 from what I was told was only £33. I ordered a set on this basis to find cost was twice what I expected, due to wrong quote. Owner gave me an invoice for twice my quote, but said the quote was what he'd charge, TBH- I felt embarrassed at this and split difference. Advice on removing old bush was to cut out with hacksaw, although I'm planing to use an old hole saw to cut out the rubber, and then ( on advice) cut a slot in the outer aluminium sleeve and buckle it inwards to get it out, with a small chisel. TBH-this power flex stockist is more used to dealing with High end cars than us Skoda owners, but he couldn't have helped me more if I'd been a wealthy Boxter owner. .

VWD, if you still have the original Skoda bushes they are a plastic sleeve not aluminium. I heated up the console with a blow torch which melted the plastic sleeve and it easily came out with a screwdriver.

TMB- that's even better news.I've replaced metalastic bushes in the past, and  it's not a job I relish.Bearing that in mind. I'll be tempted to break out the gas gun and try that first. My statement was based on the powerflex stockist,who's done a few VW bushes., but not Skoda. I'd suspected metalastic type ( which can be a PITA without a press),with a metal sleeve, but if you're right, then all is well .

TMB- that's even better news.I've replaced metalastic bushes in the past, and  it's not a job I relish.Bearing that in mind. I'll be tempted to break out the gas gun and try that first. My statement was based on the powerflex stockist,who's done a few VW bushes., but not Skoda. I'd suspected metalastic type ( which can be a PITA without a press),with a metal sleeve, but if you're right, then all is well .

The aluminium sleeved ones are the solid rubber Cupra bushes.

I can confirm that the factory fit bushes are plastic sleeved. I let SIL loose on job, as my hip prevents me getting in there. I'd suggested if problems, then heat the carrier and the bush would fall out. In the end, one whack with a screwdriver knocked bush out.  I did notice they'd gone down the HAYNES route of taking everything off, when all that was needed was to unbolt carrier and get it off, but then what do I know- I've only been doing my own stuff for 40+ years. Bit like the young bull /old bull story. But I opted for Powerflex as I've had problems getting the metal/plastic covered bushes back into the carrier over the years. But for those using Powerflex- the pricing structure is deceptive. Price is per bush ,not per pack ,as it contains two bushes, something that caught the bloke at my distributor out.

I can confirm that the factory fit bushes are plastic sleeved. I let SIL loose on job, as my hip prevents me getting in there. I'd suggested if problems, then heat the carrier and the bush would fall out. In the end, one whack with a screwdriver knocked bush out.  I did notice they'd gone down the HAYNES route of taking everything off, when all that was needed was to unbolt carrier and get it off, but then what do I know- I've only been doing my own stuff for 40+ years. Bit like the young bull /old bull story. But I opted for Powerflex as I've had problems getting the metal/plastic covered bushes back into the carrier over the years. But for those using Powerflex- the pricing structure is deceptive. Price is per bush ,not per pack ,as it contains two bushes, something that caught the bloke at my distributor out.

You will get a lot of vibrations and noise with those bushes on a 1.4 Tdi, I fitted them and instantly removed them.

DB

• Like 1