Lower Boost Pipe Mod

nightkid

Hi all

Just want to see if any of you more knowledgeable people can critique what I'm doing...

Just like many people here, my VRS lower boost pipe from the lower intercooler has failed. Usual issue with the worn lugs.

The pipe just popped out when it failed with no damage around it so I decide to get a aftermarket bayonet connector from creation motorsport and replace just one end (intercooler end) while keeping the original hose.

I didn't want to spend ~£120 on the OEM part just for it to fail again because of the poor design.  

http://www.creationsmotorsport.com/products-by-category.php?main=3&catID=6

I cut the connector out, reduce hose down a bit and put a jubilee clip around it.  I've even put a shrink sleeve over it for good measure.

After a week of driving (~400 miles). the hose pop out again but this time the hose slipped off the jubilee clip.

Thought I didn't torque it up enough but after spending the afternoon tinkering with the jubilee clip it just wont hold the hose in place.

I'm wondering now if the original hose is not right size (has been deformed a bit by the original connector) or the jubilee clip clamping on the start of the bend so the clamp force isn't spread evenly.

I'm going to creation motorsport tomorrow and get a 90 deg silicone hose and the bayonet connector on the opposite end as well.  

http://www.creationsmotorsport.com/products-by-category.php?main=6&catID=15

At this stage I may as well build a new 90 deg hose instead of recycling bits. I will bring my hose down with me so I can confirm the right bits with the shop.

If I can get this to work once I've test drive it I will write it up with photos so others can put together their own aftermarket 90 deg hose pipe.

Someone in the forum mentioned that SFS do a pre assembled 90 deg hose as a standalone part if you ring them but I haven't confirmed it and I only found this comment after I started the mod. Not sure which way is better/cheaper. Rough estimate for this mod is ~£60.00

Forge do a high temp replacement. with two connectors.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Fluorosilicone_Turbo_Hose_for_Ibiza_130_Diesel_and_Fabia_VRS--product--274.html

If you've bodged the lower pipe below that...

1) take it off and clean it.

2) Get Mikalor clamps or similar.

3) use two of those and hope it holds.

4) Can also use hair spray or similar during assembly to aid friction once its in place.

Appreciate the feedback.  Tried to get some Mikalor clamps at creation the other day but they didn't have any in stock. I did get some quality Jubilee ones as alternative. 

While taking in what you said I did find this on Jubilee Vs Mikalor/T-bolt clamps:

https://www.amsperformance.com/attachments/article/72/Worm_Gear_Clamp.pdf

All I have is Jubilees right now so I put them one today and go for a test drive.  

Appreciate the feedback.  Tried to get some Mikalor clamps at creation the other day but they didn't have any in stock. I did get some quality Jubilee ones as alternative. 

While taking in what you said I did find this on Jubilee Vs Mikalor/T-bolt clamps:

https://www.amsperformance.com/attachments/article/72/Worm_Gear_Clamp.pdf

All I have is Jubilees right now so I put them one today and go for a test drive.  

That's interesting, I think it's guff as well, a hose clip is used prevent the seal failing under pressure when the hose tries to deform and pop off, over tightening is a bad thing because that can also cause the seal to fail by deforming or damaging the hose and barb. Using a more powerful clamp simply makes it possible to cause damage by over tightening. It's like saying don't use strong head bolts in case you over tighten them and damage the head.

Squirting some hairspray on the fitting then pushing your pipe over it works a treat. 

Had mine running like that for months without it popping off. I had to break down my pipes yesterday to check for leaks (YET AGAIN FFS) and I didn't hairspray the bend from intercooler when putting it back together, and sure enough it popped off mid overtake and made me look a bit of a muppet lol.