2014 2.0 110 Diesel FL stalls easily

fatgit

I've done just over 4500 miles now in the yeti and overall I'm really pleased with it, especially with getting 60mpg on the motorway, but we're finding that it stalls very easily at times.

A couple of examples :

On a country road doing 50, slowed as we approached a sharp bend, down from 3rd to 2nd as I took the corner at 20 (foot off the accelerator) and it stalled.

M6 on Friday in heavy traffic, was at a standstill, as traffic started moving moved up from 1st to 2nd, traffic started to slow again but before I could dip the clutch it stalled.

Today, turning right into a supermarket, took the corner in second (which is normal for that junction) and it stalled halfway through the traffic lights (light accelleration)

I know the gearing is quite different to our previous car, but it doesn't seem to be consistent when it stalls. I could take the same measures at the same place multiple times at the same speeds and it won't stall, only for it to stall another time.

Is this something that people have noticed happening with the yeti? If it's abnormal then I'll take it in to the dealer, but I don't want to do that of its just something that can be solved by altering driving style or something.

I've never had it happen in any other vehicle, and it also does it when the wife drives it.

Cheers

Edited by fatgit

Hi

I have a 2.0 TDI 110 and (apart from stalling it on the day I bought it when driving out of the dealership!) I have had no problems with stalling.  What car did you have before? 

Cheers

Rog

Hi

I have a 2.0 TDI 110 and (apart from stalling it on the day I bought it when driving out of the dealership!) I have had no problems with stalling. What car did you have before?

Cheers

Rog

Peugeot 207 1.4 diesel from May 11 until June this year.

I stalled mine a number of times at first. If the engine speed drops below a preset amount, about 900rpm, the engine cuts out to avoid damage.

Having said that yours sounds different, unless you have slowed inadvertently to below the cut off rpm without realising it

Peugeot 207 1.4 diesel from May 11 until June this year.

Well the gearing and the weight of the Yeti will be different but if you are used to a diesel then it shouldn't be a huge change for you.  If you had come from an auto, or a petrol car, or something like an MX-5 then it could be very different in its responses but coming from a modern diesel hatchback you shouldn't be struggling.

I defo recommend seeing if you can get behind the wheel of another Yeti 110 and seeing how that compares...

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

I have also have a 2.0 Tdi 110ps (2013 pre-FL vintage) and in 25 years of driving, I've stalled this car more than any of the others I've had. It's always at the 2nd gear/3rd gear around the 20mph mark. Most of my cars have been diesels and I think that the Yeti is much less forgiving about being in the "right" gear when you're doing low speeds around town. Having said this, it is also the best fun I've had driving, with great chuckability around corners. Up to 19000 miles and counting having got it in October 2013.

• Like 1

I stalled our Yeti when first driven - I have driven all sorts of vehicles, cars/HGVs/MoD vehicles and "never" stalled so I was a bit mystified :nerd:

After reading the furious corre on the forum some time ago, I came to the conclusion the VAG common rail diesels have punchy firing impulses, which don't like low revs and any sort of load. The dual mass flywheel doesn't help, so we changed our driving styles to a more positive take off, keep the revs to more than 1250 when on the move, and make use of the six speed box.

Diesels like to be kept humming, revving the b******s off is not good either, just keep it in the optimum torque band. 

Just my observations :sweat:

• Like 1

On the earlier 110 se had a problem with stalling when trying to turn out of my mum's lane - 2nd gear etc - cured it when a racechip tuning box fitted - suspect the tuning for economy can effect some engines(tightness perhaps) as they will not all be the same, but within the engine spec!

My last car was a VW Touran, with a 1.9tdi engine. I stalled this a every so often, but thinking about it I have probably stalled my new 2.0 yeti diesel as many times in 4 months as I did the Touran in 10 years. You could stick this old style engine in any gear at any speed. The newer diesel is much less flexible and as such I tend to drive it like a petrol, as mentioned above keeping the revs up a bit. This seems to have solved my problem.

Colin

• Like 1

It took me a while to get used to the Yeti, as I drive into a small roundabout I stall it, but I found you have to keep the revs up after two years I still do it from tome to time. And this is coming from a

petrol engine. you will get used to it.

I have had a similar experience to fastestlouigie, with the Yeti being the easiest to stall car I've had. Stalled it yesterday approaching a set of traffic lights which changed to green as I was still slowing down. Put my foot down an all the dash lights came on -  didn't immediately realise what I'd done! Turned out I was still in fifth but had dropped to 20mph or so. It took me six months or more to adapt to the less forgiving nature of the engine, and it still, obviously, catches me out every now & then!

I have also have a 2.0 Tdi 110ps (2013 pre-FL vintage) and in 25 years of driving, I've stalled this car more than any of the others I've had.

Same here!

I found the 110ps Yeti I had previously very easy to stall!

I came to it from a 1.9tdi Roomster which would pull from almost 0 rpm without too much effort but the CR engine is a very different beast. It delivers it's power over a narrower rev range but much smoother than the "grunt" of the earlier engine. I also discovered that it would judder if you left it in 5th gear below about an indicated 32mph. Once I realised this I changed my driving habits to suit the new engine and all was well.  :thumbup:

A bonus of this particular engine (110ps) is that it delivers the best fuel economy of the whole 2ltr range, mine returned 47mpg over the three years that I had it, including towing a caravan for part of that time.

Having said all that, I love the stress free motoring that my current 140 dsg 4X4 gives me. :sun:

Fred 

• Like 2

The fuel economy is steadily getting better as we put in more miles. Really happy with 60+mpg on the motorway and 35ish when towing (and about 35 around town) - it's definitely better than I'd expected to get.

As I'm not the only one that's found it easy to stall then I won't worry too much but will get the dealer to check it when I'm next over that way.

Will also try and keep the revs a bit higher in 2nd and see how it is.

Cheers everyone.

I've read your first post twice & taking a bend at 20 in second it should not stall and the revs would be over 1250, so unless I'm wrong is the engine cutting out? I may be out of order here as I'm still looking for a Yeti, but if it were me and the car is still new, I'd have it checked.

fastestlouigie, on 20 Oct 2014 - 17:19, said:snapback.png

I have also have a 2.0 Tdi 110ps (2013 pre-FL vintage) and in 25 years of driving, I've stalled this car more than any of the others I've had.

Same here!

+1

I've had to adapt my driving style in the Yeti, to that I'd have previously considered more appropriate to a petrol engine.  But hey-ho, such is life. Even then, it does still catch me out now and then, especially when:

A - manoeuvring at low speed on near full lock (max. resistance), e.g. like in a car park.

B - when just swapped into the Yeti from the Beemer (which could pull tree stumps from the ground at 700rpm).

Edited by FlintstoneR1

I don't know if they've changed the mapping or something on later cars but my 2010 model quite happily manoeuvres with no throttle at when parking, etc. i'm not doing anything different than any of my previous recent diesel cars (MB A-class, Fiesta, Freelander, Audi A4). As I said, I stalled once the very time I pulled away in the dealership but 4 months and 4000 miles later I haven't stalled since.

Cheers

Rog