How do i paint my brake calipers and rear drum?

ang9444

yep as said take wheel off remove dirt/rust, paint, put wheels back on.

I did the front and rears on my Ibiza as they (embarrassingly) come unpainted from the factory

yesterday was the day for project "do what SEAT should have done in the first place"

This manky unpainted caliper

P1000595_zps871fda44.jpg

was attacked by this red Hammerite

P1000596_zpsf108d1be.jpg

to make it look like this

P1000598_zps1a858096.jpg

P1000599_zps960b8ea8.jpg

which means that this rather uninspiring brake set up

P1000594_zps5b8facb9.jpg

still looks equally tiny but now has a bit of style about it :D

P1000600_zps38d01dc6.jpg

did the fronts too of course
this

P1000604_zps5d99aab5.jpg

to this

P1000606_zps3114718b.jpg

means this

P1000602_zpsf9998bc2.jpg

to this

P1000609_zps967e6aad.jpg

ta dah

P1000610_zps9d101d0e.jpg

not exactly a big job nor the tidiest of painting but looks a million times better
  • Like 1

yep as said take wheel off remove dirt/rust, paint, put wheels back on.

I did the front and rears on my Ibiza as they (embarrassingly) come unpainted from the factory

looks much better, thanks doing them at the end of the month hopefully

looks much better, thanks doing them at the end of the month hopefully

Pics and tips once done, I'm thinking of painting my calipers up but might wait till next year as the steelies will be going on next month anyway

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Pics and tips once done, I'm thinking of painting my calipers up but might wait till next year as the steelies will be going on next month anyway

Be easier to get clean before all the winter crud though?

• Like 1

i'll put some pics up :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did mine recently, sorry not a Fabia but gives you the idea. I went one step further and did the discs, well the rusty bits. Treated the rust with Dinitrol rust converter and used smooth Hammerite.  Gives the wheel a whole new cleaner look, I did put some newish alloys on too. I used brake cleaner on mine first and to make it easier I popped the pads out, whilst there I serviced the caliper slide pins.

And yes I'm going to do my rusting Citigo rear drums soon.

IMG_0342_zpsbb50986e.jpg

IMG_0343_zps88598ca5.jpg

IMG_0672_zpsb73e63c5.jpg

I tried to keep daughter's late 2009 Ibiza SC original and carefully picked a suitable grey paint, a spray can of stuff that resists stone damage, removed drums, cleaned them up inside and out, brush painted first using Hammerite rust stuff then sprayed with grey paint, looked almost exactly as just out of factory - for 9 months now the nasty stuff is showing through again, probably would not have seen that if I used satin black Hammerite! On small cars drum brakes are okay for the rear, when these cars get fitted with rear disks, rust quickly sorts them out - which can be got rid of by replacing disks and pads. On small light cars, there is not enough work available to keep the rear disk brakes in good order full stop, only weakness with rear drum brakes is that they tend to seize on if the car is left for long periods with the handbrake on - this is the very reason why I now leave daughter's Ibiza parked on a gravel ramp that holds it from moving, while she is out of the country!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice.

Does your Monte Carlo run nice and true on the Dunlop Sport Maxx.?

Watch the tyre pressures on them,especially during the winter. (set your TPMS, if you have one)

i like them,

but the inside tyre wall gets easily damaged on potholes and road iron work.

Very easily damaged.

Nice.

Does your Monte Carlo run nice and true on the Dunlop Sport Maxx.?

Watch the tyre pressures on them,especially during the winter. (set your TPMS, if you have one)

i like them,

but the inside tyre wall gets easily damaged on potholes and road iron work.

Very easily damaged.

Runs really nice, the only thing is it pulls to the left a bit but it only does it if you have your hands off the steering wheel which i don't so i haven't bothered ringing and complaining..should i? Bought it two months ago but it doesn't bother me that much that it pulls but do you think i should get it sorted or? And thanks for that will keep it in mind

Looks brill mate!

Just need to clean the wheels n get done tyre balm on now ;).

Thanks mate, was thinking of getting that spray on tyre silk..any good? What balm do you mean? Edited by ang9444

Thanks mate, was thinking of getting that spray on tyre silk..any good? What balm do you mean?

Theres better stuff tbh, its alright though :).

I used to like the 'wet look' stuff until i got shown the Matt stuff. Looks miles better IMO.

I think auto finesse do a good one (:

Theres better stuff tbh, its alright though :).

I used to like the 'wet look' stuff until i got shown the Matt stuff. Looks miles better IMO.

I think auto finesse do a good one (:

Yeah that's it "wet look" in a spray bottle. So what's this matt stuff? Can you show me please? Who is it by?

Yeah that's it "wet look" in a spray bottle. So what's this matt stuff? Can you show me please? Who is it by?

I think this is the one I've seen before.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/auto-finesse-satin-cat15.html

Just looks abit classier IMO :).

Im sure the guys over at the 'detailing and car care' will know more about it :)

I think this is the one I've seen before.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/auto-finesse-satin-cat15.html

Just looks abit classier IMO :).

Im sure the guys over at the 'detailing and car care' will know more about it :)

Just seen this...hm it does look appealing, might try this "wet look" spray one first as i can get it for like £3.50, been using tyre silk by Carplan and it's really bad lol the spray doesn't even work properly and it lasts about 3-4 days
  • Like 1