Superb II Elegance 170 PS - Engine note changed

Superb Elegance 170PS, first registered April 2012. 68k miles so out of warranty :-( I recently noticed a change in the engine note. When accelerating, there is a 'slightly 'throaty' sound. It is quite quiet, but noticeable.If it had been louder I would suspect a blowing exhaust, but I dont think it is that. I have searched the net but cannot find anything. Any thoughts / pointers to what might be the problem would be much appreciated - I am cocerned it might be a warning of an impending expensive repair bill.

Had a listen under the bonnet whilst someone revved the engine gently. Definitely NOT the air intake or pipe on bulkhead rattling. Sounds like it is coming from the rocker box (is that still the right term these days?) and might be one or more of the hydraulic tappets (again is this the right terms these days?) It certainly sounds metallic with my head under the bonnet and the frequency increases with engine revs whilst the car is stationary :sweat:

Oil level is fine and the oil looks ok (no froth or emulsion in it). No warning lights on dash.

It is beginning to sound expensive :thumbdown:

Edited by Bigbigblue

Took it into centralaudivw in Birmingham. Diagnostics show no faults, oil pressure is within spec, pleanty of oil sloshing about in the rocker box cover. They don't believe there is a major problem (or one about to occur). Last oil change was 8k miles ago, so they are going to change the oil and filter and I will keep an eye on it.

In one way I am relieved, having not got a big bill to pay, but there will always be that nagging feeling that something is going to go wrong anytime soon....

Edited by Bigbigblue