Aftermarket satnav/stereo

Satnav's are cheap, as you can buy a TomTom 5" with Lifetime UK maps for about £80.00.

As to a stereo well the sky is the limit and depends how much upgrading you want.

You might want them huge speakers boy racers use, where you can hear them bloody drums booming-out, long before you spot the car..LOL

Welcome to the forums!

First thing to do is set the budget, doesn't have to be to the last penny of course:)

Then draft a list of must have features, and nice to haves.

Then we can help you out. Plenty of choice and plenty of threads on Briskie about ICE. 

I was looking at the Android units recently for example :)

Be careful when installing a stereo, I thought it was a piece of cake until I fitted it all. Had to snip the heater control and wire it to that as the ignition live (yellow wire) seemed to be constant. Something about the original sends a signal to ecu to turn on but it can't with an aftermarket stereo (someone will correct me). It will also throw a fault up but that doesn't really matter.

Someone on here very recently (can't remember who unfortunately) was buying one of these and going to come back with a review but I don't know if they did? Looks like a lot of technology for not a lot of money, but sometimes you get what you pay for as my gran told me frequently.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-9401GBP-8-Android-4-2-2-Car-DVD-GPS-VW-PASSAT-GOLF-TOURAN-MK5-6-T5-Polo-/161329549785?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item258ffd91d9

Someone on here very recently (can't remember who unfortunately) was buying one of these and going to come back with a review but I don't know if they did? Looks like a lot of technology for not a lot of money, but sometimes you get what you pay for as my gran told me frequently.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-9401GBP-8-Android-4-2-2-Car-DVD-GPS-VW-PASSAT-GOLF-TOURAN-MK5-6-T5-Polo-/161329549785?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item258ffd91d9

I saw a few people mention (i too cant remember who haha) that theyd bought these and theyd broken a few months down the line

What about a Skoda one:

Columbus:

IMG_20121223_094221.jpg

Amundsen:

SAM_3627.jpg

If you can find an Amundsen+ with DAB and Bluetooth built in then that should do the trick!

Edited by Phil-E

How about the DAB Columbus?

Good call. The new Columbus (2013 onwards I think) has DAB built in. GPS antenna and a DAB aerial and you're sorted.

If you have maxidot you should get the nav info there too.

Phil

Loving the fosters in the front [emoji481]

I thought that too! Just wasnt sure enough to post it! Haha.

hahahahaha this is the picture when I was fitting it in the car and wanted to make sure everything was working ok, plus anything goes better with a beer in hand!
  • Like 2

Satnav's are cheap, as you can buy a TomTom 5" with Lifetime UK maps for about £80.00.

As to a stereo well the sky is the limit and depends how much upgrading you want.

You might want them huge speakers boy racers use, where you can hear them bloody drums booming-out, long before you spot the car..LOL

I have paid £20 a year for map updates on a tomtom that for about 5 years now so I thought the lifetime maps looks good. I looked at tomtom web site and this is what tomtom mean by lifetime.

Lifetime – this is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more.

They do not say how long they deem this to be. Does not sound like 3 score and 10. Apologies to OP if I have gone off topic.

Edited by bobjob49

Got to say the kenwood dnx521dab it is the best head unit I've had. Defo worth the money

e47a9990b53d2ea6db70087c68d8777b.jpg

Is that the one based on a Garmin Satnav? I think it's in the Skoda Accessories Catalogue!!

Would love one of those, but looking down (taking my eyes off the road) to see the map would bug me!,

I've got a Normal Garmin (2595LMT) and the Vent mount which means I'm not taking my eyes tooo far off the road!! :D

What about a Skoda one:

Columbus:

IMG_20121223_094221.jpg

Amundsen:

SAM_3627.jpg

If you can find an Amundsen+ with DAB and Bluetooth built in then that should do the trick!

Does the Columbus unit bolt straight in or do you have to do loads of messing about?