Mufflerectomy Advice?

Jay21Nov

Hi my fabia vrs is completely standard except egr delete and was looking into a mufflerectomy (replace backbox with straight pipe) as i quite like the owl like whooshing noise. My only concern is once done would it mess up the exhaust back pressure or would it be safe to do it without any problems? Im hoping to get the sound without decatting it but even at that it would make it a wee bit louder. Cheers.

I've got a mufflerectomy. I don't get any owl noise.

I think you need to lose the cat as well if you want that noise?

Hmm odd my pals seat makes the noise and still has cat? just worried about messing up the back pressure

My advice, I've had a mufflerectomy on mine for a year, never had any concern with back pressure, it made no difference to the drive/running of the car, perhaps seemed more free reving but I might have been looking for a difference that wasn't actually there.

The noise your after will only be achieved if you decat and you really don't want to do that. The noise is nasty.

The turbo noise with a backbox removed is perfect, and the noise from outside the car particularly from the back is very very nice, there's a nice chooow noise :)

I would seriously recommend doing it. As my friends said to me, it makes it sound a little more like a petrol!

Get it done mate. You will not, regret it.

Edited by Edition no.295
  • Like 1

De-cat and get a small back box fitted :)

Not too loud under normal driving/low revs, but you will get your owl noise and a nice tone when at WOT/on full boost ;)

I got a miltec decat and small backbox but no owl noise what so ever but yeh does sound nice on boost!

Sorry to thread hijack. I'm tempted to go for a mufflerectomy on mine as I'm not happy with the way the standard exhaust sits, it hangs far too low for my liking despite having replaced all the hangers and I don't want to mess about trying to bodge it with zip ties.

Not sure where to go though, I know there are places like Powerflow and long-life exhausts but I don't want to be paying through the nose for what is essentially a bit of pipe and give or take half hours work. I'm happy to keep the standard tip too as I actually quite like the way it looks polished up. Anyone know of anywhere decent in Lancashire to get the work done?

Sorry to thread hijack. I'm tempted to go for a mufflerectomy on mine as I'm not happy with the way the standard exhaust sits, it hangs far too low for my liking despite having replaced all the hangers and I don't want to mess about trying to bodge it with zip ties.

Not sure where to go though, I know there are places like Powerflow and long-life exhausts but I don't want to be paying through the nose for what is essentially a bit of pipe and give or take half hours work. I'm happy to keep the standard tip too as I actually quite like the way it looks polished up. Anyone know of anywhere decent in Lancashire to get the work done?

Go on the LongLife website and find your local place,just pop there for a quote.

Your not obliged to buy anything you know!!!! :)

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone hope you all had a good xmas lol, still havn't got a mufflerectomy and map yet since i was in an accident and the vrs needed damage repaired :( but need to ask do i need a remap with a mufflerectoy or can i get away without a map for maybe a month or 2 since im really skint now. Thanks.

Hello everyone hope you all had a good xmas lol, still havn't got a mufflerectomy and map yet since i was in an accident and the vrs needed damage repaired :( but need to ask do i need a remap with a mufflerectoy or can i get away without a map for maybe a month or 2 since im really skint now. Thanks.

I wouldn't bother with either of them until you've recovered financially, we're about to get a proper dose of winter so best leave the car alone until the spring.

• Like 1