Fitting Lights

J306TD

Right should hopefully finish boarding the loft tomorrow. The only problem is I don't have any lights up there. Can I just get a light fitting some cable and a plug?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Buy the following:-

1. 13A plug and 3A fuse.
  2. Sufficient 13A cable to run from wherever the socket is to where you want the light.
  3. Either a bulkhead mounting light or a bedlight head (the ones designed to screw to a piece of board.

If you want several luminaires, buy a 4-gang extension that you can get into the loft, and multiple sets of (1) and (3).

• Like 1

My loft has a bathroom type pull cord just inside the hatch. Open up and it falls down. Coil it up when you switch off as you leave.

A power outlet is never a bad idea. You may need a lead lamp for that dark corner behind the chimney, or a more powerful tool, or a fan or heater, or, or, or.

Who knows...? Any other suggestions?

Ah yes. I get it now.

That should do the trick!

If you do want to do it "properly" it really isn't hard picking up from the lighting circuit.

I'm going to do ours at some point (we have two due to extension) as it does annoy me having to get the torch every time and still not being able to see properly.

Phil

Where are you picking your power up from?

Your lighting circuit?

Phil

Phil

I think the suggestion is to run the light from basically an extension lead plugged in downstairs.

Yes, because that avoids even a suggestion that you're carrying out illegal works picking up a new spur off a ring main. 

Hmm picking up from the lighting circuit wouldn't be "illegal works" or in fact notifiable works under Part-P unless the loft is designated a special location (i.e. you have a bath or shower or sink in it) - you are extending an existing circuit and lighting in most UK houses, is a spur by design and not a ring main. You would need to ensure that you design and install it to the relevant regulations (17th Edition Regulations) all my IMHO and if not competent to carry out the works consult an expert. 

But the easiest would be a plug in light.

I think a lot comes down to how often the space will be used.

If it is pretty infrequently, I would go for the extension lead and plug in light. If it is in daily use, then better to get a fitting and permanent wiring.

Hmm picking up from the lighting circuit wouldn't be "illegal works" or in fact notifiable works under Part-P unless the loft is designated a special location (i.e. you have a bath or shower or sink in it) - you are extending an existing circuit and lighting in most UK houses, is a spur by design and not a ring main. You would need to ensure that you design and install it to the relevant regulations (17th Edition Regulations) all my IMHO and if not competent to carry out the works consult an expert. 

But the easiest would be a plug in light.

I was taught that lighting is a ring main in physics classes at school. 

Every house I've ever owned has had a spur for lighting with each ceiling rose having a loop in and loop out from the previous to the next light. Newer houses have all of that in the light switch box to make maintenance easier.

With it being a loft I'd probably just run a 6' tube and a pull cord switch from the lighting circuit. Anything more (like sockets(es)) should probably be done by someone qualified or at least discussed/sized with a knowledgable brain.

With it being a loft I'd probably just run a 6' tube and a pull cord switch from the lighting circuit. Anything more (like sockets(es)) should probably be done by someone qualified or at least discussed/sized with a knowledgable brain.

Make sure you have the height clearance on the fluorescent fitting. Last thing you want to do is to turn around or stand up and hit the tube with your head. If you want a fluorescent fitting, go to a electrical wholesaler and ask for a LUV fitting, which is totally enclosed and much safer in confined spaces

http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/lights/fluorescent-fittings/weatherproof-fluorescent-lights

• Like 1

I used to have a wander lead for my loft light and plugged into a landing socket. Was a disaster,pain in the neck as I used to keep catching the lead with my foot or leg when coming down the loft ladder. Now have fixed lighting with an illuminated switch just inside the hatch, all is well now.

• 2 weeks later...

A lighting circuit is not a ring main, a ring main is for power so you distribute the load equally along the two legs of the cables. A lighting circuit is a radial circuit, one cable from the breaker in the fuseboard to a light and then you can loop the permanent supply to the next light and so on.

If you have no experience of electrics, stick with the light on a plug top route and an extension lead.