rattle at idle

tmg

Hey

so... I have a 2012 170 4x4 manual, and have a rattle at idle (particularly noticeable at startup). 

totally disappears when you rev it a bit, and before anyone says it, i have replaced the air intake bits out front with the newer components (which looked pretty identical to the ones on it). 

anyone any opinions on on anything else that can cause it?

t.

One suggestion which may be helpful.

When you say rattle, could you mean a metallic clicking sound coming from the top of the engine, if so it could be lazy tappets. When the oil is cold, and especially in a slightly older engine, oil pressure sometimes fails to properly pressurise the hydraulic tappets at idle speed. As soon as the engine speeds up the oil pressure builds up and stops the noise. Usually the noise goes away when the engine is warm. My experience is that it is only something to worry about if the noise does not go away when your engine is warm and you rev up. In  that case you could have blocked oilways or a worn tappet.

hey

thanks for the reply! its more some sort of plastic rattle that goes away over 900 rpm, and is also gone when the car is warm

i could go rattle hunting, but i just wanted to see if there were any other usual suspects

t.

I have a similar thing but I think mine is the plastic engine cover that rattles more when the engine is idling when cold. Seems to go when the engine has warmed up or when revs are higher.

• 9 months later...

hi

I am getting this same problem now with my 2009 skoda superb elegance and the dealers do not know what this problem is,  They ;put in a new injector but the noise was still there.  I have done 150000 now in my car and would like to know what the problem was in your car as this sounds like the same thing with mine.

I am a lady driver so not car savvy

20 odd pages later and came across what seems to me the same tinny rattle when engine is at idle

could you help please

so a late update to this. 

Fixed!!!!!!!!

I had the airbox out for something, and just before I popped it back on, i took a moment to take a look around to see if I could ever find the source of the RATTLE OF DOOM as it was still bugging me (this is about a week ago).

as I had better than normal access to the firewall, I poked around there a bit, and during this, I brushed against a rubber pipe that ran under the battery, and made a metal rattling noise for some reason when it moved. 

looking into it further, the pipe from the brake fluid reservoir to the clutch runs as a rubber pipe into the clutch, and as a rubber pipe from the brake fluid cylinder, but as it runs under the battery, there is a metal section to the piping. this was loose from its retaining clip underneath the battery, and once pushed back on underneath the battery, the rattle is gone. 

hope this is of help to someone!

t.

• Like 3