15 inch steel rim - tyre advice.

JossyB

I am about to purchase four 15 inch steel rims (Genuine Skoda part) for my wife's 2012 Skoda Fabia 1.6TDI Elegance.  This is currently running on the standard 16 inch Comet alloys and I am wanting to use a set of almost new Winter Continental tyres from her previous car on the new rims.  The Continentals are size 175 60 15 - will they be compatible with the steel rim ?.

Edited by JossyB

I spotted your thread while checking information for putting winters onto the Fabia we have just ordered.

I can't see that tyre size listed as a permitted combination in the Skoda workshop manual.

Remembering that the Fabia * Skoda are built on Mainland Europe where Snow Chain use is more common,

the Tyre Size recommended for where Snow Chains can be used is,

5 J x 14 165/70

6 J x 14 185/60

6J x 15 185/55   Page 182 / 183 Owners Manual.

But since very few in the UK are likely to be fitting snow chains, 

you are likely to be fitting Wider Tyres with different profiles from these,

& tyres to suit the Model,  ie 'Sport Suspension' , so Clearance for tyres, and under the car,

or just to suit your needs and requirements.

You will get an idea of tyres that are right for a Fabia by looking at the Tyre Pressure Guidance in the Petrol Filler Flap.

Tyre Pressure Inflation Guide for 185/55 R15 @ page 179 in the Owners Manual.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The Scores on the Doors.  Numbers on the tyres might be 1% difference. 

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Often best to measure tyres side by side to see the actual difference.

Putting a Winter  or Snow tyre on that has less total Diameter and has the body lower to the ground is not always the best idea.

Especially if the Standard Summer / All Season fitment already has the car with not lots of clearance.  (ie Greenline-vRS-Monte Carlo)

But it is model dependent obviously, and location, location, location.

Yes. I have 185/55 15 that I used on the Roomster that is being part exed. Annoyingly, I had some 195/55 15 winters that I couldn't use because our Roomy is the Scout and 195/55 aren't approved, though they are for other Roomsters and Fabias.

My insurance company say its fine so long as they are approved by the manufacturer, otherwise not, so it wasn't worth the risk.

What type of approval do people speak of. 'Type Approved', ?

As long as they are the Correct Load and Speed Rating for the car, and your Speedo does not under read should be enough for any insurance underwriter and MOT / VOSA Examiner, and Police officer.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I stick to what is on the stickers. Both our cars, non-VAG, have snow tyre sizes and speed/load rating on the pressure stickers, so it makes it very simple. Both sets are also on different sets of OEM alloys, so I don't get any questions.

When I speak of approved, I mean that in the Skoda workshop manuals, they list it as approved. I rang my insurer and they specifically said I could only use wheel and tyre combinations which were originally used on the car.

Type approval is related but may not mean the exact same. A vehicle is type approved, in that a particular model in this case Fabia, gets type approval to say it conforms to all the legal requirements for new cars in Europe. You can see evidence of this on things like headlights where you will se E11 markings and similar. It's called type approval because the manufacturer gets approval for all vehicles in the model range (or type in their speak), plus all options and combinations. I expect the lists in the Skoda workshop manuals that say approved, mean the combinations that are included in the type approval, but that's only my guess.

In the UK, I think it's still true that once sold as new, you don't have to maintain the vehicle as type approved, so long as it meets UK requirements. These used to be, and may still be called Construction and use. So if that's true then you are probably right about MOT/VOSA and the police. However insurance can set whatever they like, and if they choose, as mine have done to say only wheels and tyre combinations that Skoda fit as standard (ie approved) then that is up to them. Therefore you could fall foul of the law, by invalidating your insurance. There could also be issues if you travel overseas, for example in Germany I believe you cannot modify items on cars that are part of the type approval.

So, ask your insurer.

More likely to fall foul of Call Centre staff that talk sharn.

I insure my cars as Modified and Legal Tyres used is enough for the Insurance Company in the UK.

Legal Type. Load/Speed Rating and tread.

But you best act as your Insurance Broker or Company tell you they require you to,.

PS

You can take a UK Registered yet modified Vehicle & Legal in the UK Vehicle into other EU Countries,

but then you will need to comply with use of Winter Tyres, carrying chains etc, if that is in operation at the time.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Thanks all. Decided against the rims. Just ordered 4 Hankook winter tyres (Ice Bear 310) for the Comet alloys. Anyone had them ?

Used the 310's on a previous 4x4 Yeti and they seemed pretty good, although not quite on par with my preferred winter tyre options from ether Nokian or Uniroyal.

TP

Thanks all. Decided against the rims. Just ordered 4 Hankook winter tyres (Ice Bear 310) for the Comet alloys. Anyone had them ?

Maybe consider trying to sell on your winter tyres, should be easiest at this time of year, though a lot of people will only pay peanuts for them, you can but try - get some money back and get rid of unwanted tyres!

Too late now, but did you ever consider buying steelies with winter tyres fitted from "mytyres" etc?