Struggles to start then a plummet of white smoke?

I've previously posted and never got a definite answer however the car has now developed another sign.

My car struggles to start first time each day despite weather or time and any time after that it starts fine. However now when it struggles to start and eventually does start, i get a load of white smoke come out the exhaust.

I have a new battery and glow plugs.

What is causing my car to struggle so bad to start? Once it's started it runs and ticks over fine. Just that initial start.

Many thanks guys.

Sounds like glow plug problems ! ,  as if they are not working.  As they are new it could be that they are not getting power.  The engine temp sensor decides if they need power or not, check that the temp sensor is working OK.  If the temp is disconnected they should work regardless of the temp. you can disconnect the sensor and then try it for starting, maybe a faulty sensor .  

Edited by erindad

Okay thank you for your tip so far. Have you got a rough location where this engine temp sensor is located or what it looks likes?

On my old octy 06  PD (since sold) there was 1 in the radiator pipe outlet ,passenger side, and another on the r/h passenger side of the engine cy/head. Not all have two sensors yours may only have one in the cy/head . If I remember rightly it was a green plug set up, both had two wires but the single one has 4 wires. If you goggle temp sensor for octy that will give you an idea what to look for.  (@£6.00 on ebay) 

• Like 1

I have a 2010 1.6tdi with same symptoms and I have been told by Skoda and an independent that its the EGR. I also had intermittent flashing glow plugs on dash but the flashing lights and poor start never do it at the same time.

EGR is quite possible tbh'

My TDI is on 127,000 miles so I imagine the egr is well and truely full of crud.

It's going to an Indy tomorrow for a full check plus checking for faults via vag com.

I shall mention the EGR

Thank you.

Had my car in today and my injector seals need replacing as they are allowing fuel to run back to the tank over night.

£367+vat for everything including labour and ecu wiring loom on the cylinder heads.