DSG stick; can you pull it?

Had a thought while driving to work;

I like to use the DSG in 'manual mode' with the stick pushed across to the left and then push the stick forward to change up and then pull it back when changing down rather than using the paddles.

I was wondering if it would be possible to re-programme the stick selector to change up when the stick is pulled back and change down when it is pushed forward like a full blown sequential box out of a BTCC race car or WRC rally car? Obviously without the actual satisfaction of slamming the gears around in the gear box.

I wonder if any VAG-Com experts could shed some light.......

I am not aware of it being able to be changed and i have asked Experts.

I use the Gear Stick in Manual regularly, on back roads and in winter,.

& i like exactly as is.

But i never use the paddles.

Pull back when decelerating, ie coming down gears, and dropping a gear before accelerating.

& push forward to change up, 

to me that is the natural action from only ever driving Automatics and automated Manuals.

I have driven gearboxes a number of years back that were Pull Back to change into higher gears, forward to change down,

and i disliked this set up..

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

I cant totally see the logic behind why VAG chose to do it that way.

But to me, pulling back to change up seems more natural.

I guess this is down to years of watching motorsport.

If they can 'remap' the box, I hope they can maybe re programme the mirco switch?

Its not a microswitch, its all done via a canbus signal to the ECU. A microswitch would never last the bashing the gear selector takes, IIRC the selection is a wiper/contact arrangement, as you push the selector a contact patch wipes past another which triggers the change. It maybe possible to completely disassemble the lever and swap the wires going to the + and - connections, but that depends on it being wires rather than a PCB.

• Like 1

That makes sense.

So it is unlikely that re programming the DSG brain to shift up for a shift down signal and vise-versa will be possible?

Instead, just swap the up and down cabling inside the 'stick'?

Shame! Maybe its worth contacting some companies that 'map' DSG boxes for some clarification.

Plus it will still change down and up for you in manual anyway

Yes.... it's still an auto gearbox. it will change down when the revs get too low or change up when you hit the red line. Everything else in-between it leaves alone. You could do 70mph in 4th all day if you wanted. The DSG won't shift for you if the engine isn't labouring or hitting the redline. That's the difference between 'over-ride' or just pushing the stick to the left to give you more control on gearing.

But we're not talking about the DSG behaviour, but how/if it's possible to change how gears are selected using the 'stick'

I understand what you're saying here, and excuse my ignorance as i drive a manual (but i can push it forward for down changes, for 2 of the downshifts ;) haha).

Why dont you guys use the paddles? Is it just a personal preference thing?

I like the idea of the paddles tbh.

No ignorance at all! :-)

I do like to use the paddles too, but it's more 'involving' using the stick, as you take your hand off the wheel like you would in a manual.

I'm not going to lie, I love sequential gear boxes and the pull lever back action to change up a gear. This is the main reason why I'd like to change it.

• Like 1

The problem I have with manual is when overtaking something I would prefer maybe gear 3 for overtaking and use the torque to get past

Gearbox overrules me tho and drops a gear to second revving the nuts off it

As for the using the stick, in over 2 years I've never actually used it

Gonna have to try it now. :)

I'd like to change this too. The M135i is pull back for up-shift and push forward for down-shift (like it should be!) and the Fabia is the opposite as described already. Can get confusing and lead to the odd red-faced moment when you are regularly swapping between the two cars lol!

Having said that I don't use the stick that often but it's very handy if you are still in manual mode and pulling out of a junction round a corner so the paddles aren't in their natural position.

The problem I have with manual is when overtaking something I would prefer maybe gear 3 for overtaking and use the torque to get past

Gearbox overrules me tho and drops a gear to second revving the nuts off it

As for the using the stick, in over 2 years I've never actually used it

Gonna have to try it now. :)

I presume you are stamping on the throttle and activating the kickdown switch? If it's locked in manual mode, with the stick to the left it will stay in the gear you are currently in and not change down even with max throttle.... :-)

• Like 1

For some reason push forward for up and back for down should be more natural as it kind of resembles what happens when you drive a manual going between 3rd and 4th gears (and 1st, 2nd).

Always thought VAG had the DSG polarity sense wrong; and confirmed by my preference to the BMW set-up.

As a result, like many have said above, paddles on the steering wheel get plenty of use instead.

It would be a good update if the tuning companies could address this along with an ECU remap  :thumbup:

daz600,

does your car really drop to 2nd if you are in 'D' and boot it to overtake.?

At between 40 - 50 mph, and at 1,500 - 2,000 rpm it is likely to be in 4th, probably 5th or 6th.

If you boot them, i have never driven one that drops to 2nd, 3rd is as low as it goes unless at speeds below 30 mph.

Even in S at 40 mph and above it is in '3 S' and if you floor it,

they stay in 3rd and go, and obviously go quite quickly as they go up the box, but only to 6th..

If i was driving in Manual and drop to 2nd with the intention of then booting it 2nd is really low,

2nd is what i use for really slow diving and decelerating only.

& I only use 'S' for decelerating, never to get a quick move on and to get up the gears.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I am with George on this one, pull for more power, push for dropping the revs, nothing more natural than that. A shame the BMW has them the other way round, I may need to reconsider it being top of my list...  :p

But as others said, once you have paddles it doesn't really make sense to keep your hand on the stick for nothing. Paddles + both hands on the wheel, at least outside the city, is much more involving, I almost feel like a truck driver when I catch myself keeping my hand on the stick nowdays...

I've had motorcycles in years gone by with right-way-up and upside-down gearboxes -- didn't find it too much of a problem adapting.

I have a DSG box in my Octy (stick, no paddles) and I almost never use handraulic gear changes. A quick overtake is easier if all you have to do is (1) make sure it is safe, then (2) floor the throttle. I work on the principle that the car can change down more quickly than I can -- and it'll skip a gear or two if necessary, which a sequential stick (or a paddle?) can't do.

daz600,

does your car really drop to 2nd if you are in 'D' and boot it to overtake.?

At between 40 - 50 mph, and at 1,500 - 2,000 rpm it is likely to be in 4th, probably 5th or 6th.

If you boot them, i have never driven one that drops to 2nd, 3rd is as low as it goes unless at speeds below 30 mph.

Even in S at 40 mph and above it is in '3 S' and if you floor it,

they stay in 3rd and go, and obviously go quite quickly as they go up the box, but only to 6th..

If i was driving in Manual and drop to 2nd with the intention of then booting it 2nd is really low,

2nd is what i use for really slow diving and decelerating only.

& I only use 'S' for decelerating, never to get a quick move on and to get up the gears.

Mine does this if I am at 35 - 40mph and put my foot down it goes to 2nd and 5,500 rpm. then it goes to 6,000rpm then changes. I would rather it go to 3rd not 2nd. Spoke to my skoda dealer and said that's how they are set to be.

Mine does this if I am at 35 - 40mph and put my foot down it goes to 2nd and 5,500 rpm. then it goes to 6,000rpm then changes. I would rather it go to 3rd not 2nd. Spoke to my skoda dealer and said that's how they are set to be.

Surely the idea behind the DSG is that if the car 'wants' 2nd gear just for a second or two, it'll then change up again? You wouldn't bother with 2nd on a manual box, but the system 'thinks' more quickly than a Mk I human brain. 

Perhaps I've been driving diesels too long.

Its interesting reading different peoples views on this.

Maybe its from watching BTCC, Rallying, GT racing etc from an early age that has made me feel that pulling back on the stick to shift up is more natural?

Real world sequential boxes have it this way because with those boxes it is a physical movement shifting the cogs. But even though the DSG stick is just a 'controller', you would think the same rules apply.

The paddles are always right hand up, left hand down, whether you are in a race car or road car. So why not for the 'stick'?