DSG stick; can you pull it?

I've had motorcycles in years gone by with right-way-up and upside-down gearboxes -- didn't find it too much of a problem adapting.

I have a DSG box in my Octy (stick, no paddles) and I almost never use handraulic gear changes. A quick overtake is easier if all you have to do is (1) make sure it is safe, then (2) floor the throttle. I work on the principle that the car can change down more quickly than I can -- and it'll skip a gear or two if necessary, which a sequential stick (or a paddle?) can't do.

The thought of riding an old british bike where the rear brake and gear lever are the wrong way round scares me.

I guess this is abit like what 'furbytom' experiences when he changes cars.

Except for the catastrophic gearbox blow up when you get it wrong

at 35 mph and floor it,

and a couple of seconds later you are over the Motorway NSL in the UK, that is in 'D'.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I had a Toyota MR2

IMG_0117_1.jpg

It had it's (godawful) SMT box shift the right way round (pull back to change up and forward to change down).

i was always told it was to do with momentum, you change up when accelerating, generally, so  the car is pushing you backwards, it is more effort, if reaching in anyway to lean your body forward to knock the stick forward.  A swift pull back is more intuitive.

same applies in reverse, slowing down your weight shifts forwards, so push forward to select a lower gear.

Yes I understand the logic of downshifting and then accelerating, but the gear needs to engage and then you accelerate off.

It's what you get used to but I was no fan of the stick arrangement on my vRS.

• Like 3

Mine does this if I am at 35 - 40mph and put my foot down it goes to 2nd and 5,500 rpm. then it goes to 6,000rpm then changes. I would rather it go to 3rd not 2nd. Spoke to my skoda dealer and said that's how they are set to be.

Correct in my case also

This is accelerating in manual George not 'D'

And Furbytom it does sound like kickdown activating,but am not stamping on the throttle

I assume kickdown must be a little on the keen side

I still do Full Blown Sprint Starts in Manual '1',

or if rolling in '2' and do not shift again manually until near the Red Line in 4th.

My own DSG is standing up to it rather well.

Not so good or quick with a DSG in a CTHE though compared to a CAVE/DSG.

&

I prefer the First Built CTHE / DSG compared to the more recent ones, late 2013-14.

All cars, Engines/ Gearboxes are not built equal IME.

I can totally believe that!

But the VRS is no V8 Australian Touring car so I will never struggle to use the stick due to momentum. :-(

I like using the stick, I just wish I would change it to the right way round.

Thats what i thought! Its not gonna throw you back in your seat like a fighter jet lol.

But i get the theory :).

BMW and Ford do the +/- the right way around the same as most motorsport boxes. Pull to change up and push to change down.

The VAG setup is counter intuitive in my opinion. Every sequential box for motorsport has always been pull to change up and push to change down, that's because it's the same direction as the acceleration and deceleration forces.

What's even worse for me is when I've been driving BMW and Ford then get back in my Passat or Fabia I keep changing down when I want to change up! :(

The right way round

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

BMW and Ford do the +/- the right way around the same as most motorsport boxes. Pull to change up and push to change down.

The VAG setup is counter intuitive in my opinion. Every sequential box for motorsport has always been pull to change up and push to change down, that's because it's the same direction as the acceleration and deceleration forces.

What's even worse for me is when I've been driving BMW and Ford then get back in my Passat or Fabia I keep changing down when I want to change up! :(

The right way round

Lee

Love that video!

That's what I want feel like I'm doing while driving home from work lol!