when will we see a 4x4 hatchback?

What's stopping Skoda from selling a 4x4 Hatchback Octavia 3?

For Octavia 1 and 2, were they available in 4x4 HB variant from the start or after a while?

Edited by FilipC

I had a MkI 1.8T 4x4 hatch, it was awesome, it could leave a standard MkI vRS standing at the lights in the wet, despite the 30hp drop in power, amazing traction!  I would have ticked that option if it was available on the MkIII as I don't like estate cars.  In hindsight, having now covered over 30k in the Octy III, I wish I had opted for another Superb II as that is available with 4x4 in the hatch, but I got blinded by all the new InfoTech on the Octy III, and as I do quite a lot of motorway cruising, the Superb would have been a better choice as it is more refined and better screwed together. 

Edited by Matt Pez

my wife doesn't like Estates either + I'd rather not buy a diesel anymore + rather avoid DSG7 in favor of DSG6 and over here the only gasoline powered DSG6 is the 1.8 TSI 4x4 which comes only as Estate

I'm also considering Superb 2 but not sure whether to end up paying actually more for an older generation of electronics and engines

Hatcback 4x4 Octavia appeared in Czech configurator few weeks ago. So probably you should be able to order it soon also in Romania.

And thats 135kw engine, this will be a peach!

thanks, I opened up the Czech configurator and it's there all right ... :clap:

it remains to be seen if it makes it to Romania, the Estate 1.8 TSI 4x4 DSG6 that is available here is not listed in the UK brochure for example

is the boot floor or the floor in front of the backseats raised due to the 4x4 system?

does this Haldex gen. 5 need regular service (change of oil, filter)?

is the boot floor or the floor in front of the backseats raised due to the 4x4 system?

does this Haldex gen. 5 need regular service (change of oil, filter)?

It isn't. There's even room for a full sized spare in the trunk, unless you opt for bigger wheels than normal (in which case the spare is a "space saver").

And the Haldex should be maintenance free. (I've driven a Volvo with an older generation halex for almost 9 years now with no scheduled service...though it hasn't been entirely problem free. A few years ago the hydraulic pump failed and had to be replaced. The service techs however said it's a rare occurrence.)

Edited by kallekilponen

Wow, bad advice. Haldex systems have a 40000 mile oil change and dependant on models filter too. I'm not surprised your pump failed if it was never changed.

Not sure on gen 5 yet, though.

There are no Haldex oil changes marked in the Volvo service program for my model, and the service techs said it was the first failure in this manner they had encountered, and was apparently due to a manufacturing flaw, not oil quality. The recommendation for oil changes for the Haldex unit seems to vary greatly based on car manufacturer.

I guess it's better to err on the safe side and change the oil at least as recommended.

A recent road test of a VAG 1.4 TSI engine (ACT model) on a Finnish car magazine (TekniikanMaailma) revealed that when it comes to engine oil, the VAG recommended oil change interval is actually too long (30 000 km) and by that time oil quality had gotten so low, it had caused one of the turbo bearings to fail. Hence they recommended a 20 000 km oil change interval.

When it comes to engine and transmission oil changes I've usually been over careful and had them changed early. But when it comes to the Haldex unit I've listened to the recommendation of my Volvo service tech, who seems quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Edited by kallekilponen

my wife doesn't like Estates either + I'd rather not buy a diesel anymore + rather avoid DSG7 in favor of DSG6 and over here the only gasoline powered DSG6 is the 1.8 TSI 4x4 which comes only as Estate

Seriously? You are going to skip on this great car, only because it's more practical than you'd like ? :p

:) I agree that while I may turn my head to see how other people's cars look like from the outside it matters more how my car looks from the inside (since that's what I'm going to see mostly) so estate or sedan/hatchback does not matter that much to me but SHMBO has a say in all this as well

and if they're going to add the HB TSI DSG6 to the menu soon we both may get what we want

btw PUFPAF, what's your fuel consumption in and outside of Sofia? are you using 95ROZ fuel or more expensive ones?

Well, at first I was struggling to get below 10l/100km, but now the car is 12 000 km the consumption has settled a bit to approx. 9l.

For me in and out of town is the same, because I usually drive 160-200km/h on the highway (that's about 100-120 mph i guess). So in general 9-10l should be your benchmark with town traffic and high speeds :)

I can see 4x4 for normal version in configurator, but not for the RS.

There's no 4x4 RS model. But the 4x4 TDI 184 version is actually quicker from 0-62 mph than the RS version with the same engine.

(7.1 s on the 4x4 vs. 8.3 s on the RS DSG Combi according to the specs sheet)

There's no 4x4 RS model. But the 4x4 TDI 184 version is actually quicker from 0-62 mph than the RS version with the same engine.

(7.1 s on the 4x4 vs. 8.3 s on the RS DSG Combi according to the specs sheet)

Yes, thats true, but I want TSI motor in 4x4 version.