2.0 TSI Engine Failure - New Engine - Advice?

I have recently sold my vRS and have money burning a hole in my pocket for the right replacement.

I am going to view a TSI vRS tomorrow and have spent a considerable amount of time speaking openly and honestly with the seller regarding the vehicles history.

In short, the seller took the car to a Skoda dealership to have the chain replaced as a preventative measure against the dreaded cam chain tensioner failure earlier this year.  Skoda bungled this and ultimately the tensioner failed and the engine was damaged beyond repair with about 35k on the clock.  Skoda replaced the engine free of charge and the car has now done around 40k.

I'm no mechanic but part of me is thinking this is a wonderful opportunity to buy a nice car in budget with a 2014 engine that has done less than 5k (which would be warranted no doubt) and have virtually no chance of a further tensioner failure. On the other hand its nagging me about whether it has all been done properly considering the first bungled attempt and whether I would have further issues in the future.

Some of my colleagues at work think this is too good an opportunity to miss and others have said don't touch it with a barge pole?

Looking for other thoughts to help me make up my mind.  

Havent you just sold a tsi vrs? & now your buying another tsi vrs? im confused  :D Id rather buy a tsi vrs that has had a new engine with hopefully the latest tensioner than a early original with the original early tensioner that seems to be failing. I personally would not own a tsi vrs without having a warranty on it. 

Havent you just sold a tsi vrs? & now your buying another tsi vrs? im confused :D Id rather buy a tsi vrs that has had a new engine with hopefully the latest tensioner than a early original with the original early tensioner that seems to be failing. I personally would not own a tsi vrs without having a warranty on it.

Yes, I sold my tsi with the intention of buying something a little older and cheaper as I only do a handful of miles a week and it didn't seem right to have something so valuable sitting on the drive depreciating and not been used.

Then this week I have viewed a number of tfsi's and they just aren't in the same condition, don't have the options, haven't been looked after or are simply overpriced. Trying to find everything I want has proved near on impossible and has led me back to another tsi.

With hindsight, I should have just kept my old tsi!

What I am asking here is should I have any concerns buying another tsi with an almost brand new replacement engine and I think probably not.

• Like 1

Doesn't all work by dealer come with a 2 year warranty? Bargain if you ask me

iirc if you dont pay any money towards the repair i.e. 100% goodwill you dont get the 2 year parts guarentee

If it has been run for 5k miles without issue then I can't see why you why you would not.

If the engine had been stripped and rebuilt by the dealer then I would be a bit more cautious but in effect they have only replaced one part (albeit a big one). An engine swap isn't overly complicated.

I bought a Focus and at 600 miles old it was diagnosed with low compression on one cylinder. Rather than strip the engine and replace the piston and rings they just swapped the engine as its less likely to cause issues in later life. Also, if the original engine is destroyed they can stamp the old engine number in the new block.

I've just been through the painful experience of my chain belt failing last week and my car needs a new engine. The scary part of it is that it will give you no signs and just fail there and then. Mine was just parked up and then suddenly wouldn't turn on!

When i get my car back, i'm going to speak to the dealer to find out whether the new chain belts are resolving these issues. It could just be a case of the old timing belts being ****, in which case getting a new engine with a new belt is a great purchase.

Thanks for the advice guys and wardy, hope you get yours sorted soon!

I went to look at this today and it was beyond immaculate. It drives like a brand new car but with a virtually brand new engine, I guess that's to be expected!

Needless to say I bought it. I will miss not having the maxidot to make a few tweaks so I will need to get some things sorted via vcds such as one touch unlock and DRL's reactivated but if that's the only issue then that's no bad thing!!

• Like 3

I must say I am really pleased. This is my 5th vRS but I have never had a blue one (2 x red, 1 x grey and 1 x black).

It is basic spec so doesn't have the full leather, maxidot, mfsw and phone that I had in my last car but I will have to retro fit what I can't learn to live without.

Just realised there is no spare just some gunk and a compressor so will be on the lookout in the for sale section.

Activated DRL's easy enough though by reading the manual and 3 seconds later they are working!