ticking noise

SkodAM1

Just got my car back from the garage and it has developed a strange ticking noise, the issue was nothing to do with the engine or anything! 

Took a video to show you to try and help, never sounded this prominent before. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before? 

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I just used a full FAI kit which included camshaft, bearings, uprated tappets and bolts, come to less than £200 with new gaskets and seals.

i did the job over 2 days taking my time, problem solved. Its on my project thread with pictures and the worn parts :)

• Like 1

Cheers guys,

So just leave it until it starts happening frequently then you reckon?

It's definitely not going to destroy me engine is it? 

Ideally I don't want to be going down new camshafts etc as it's a massive job. That kit above must have been more than £200 for the lot surely?

Thanks.

You can buy full kits for as little as £100 if you wanted, I managed to get a deal using a trade account that spends thousands a week so parts company's usually look after me if i tell them its my own car :D FAI is a name i've seen and used for a long time so was happy to use their products.

• Like 1

I'm back, and so is the noise sadly!

Did it again yesterday after a couple of short journeys too and from work and again just now.  Once again the noise stopped after I took it for a quick 15 min run, seems getting it warm cures the problem but I don't want to be driving a car that is going to sound horrendous after every short journey so for that reason I'v decided to get it sorted.

Can anyone confirm if this/these are the part(s) I require please, Also are they a strengthened part or just a replacement for OEM?

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/ina-black-top-camshaft-lifters-followers-for-vw-1-9-2-0-8v-tdi-pd-engines.html

Once repaired, is this issue likely to resurface again? If so then I will likely bin the car off and get a petrol as I can't be doing with the hassle. I appreciate that diesels aren't built for short journeys but I don't use the car that often but I need something more reliable, was expecting better from the PD engine tbh.

This is what the noise sounds like in case anyone wants to have a listen.

Thanks.

Yep, sounds like a diesel to me.

I honestly think your expectations are unreasonable, I can hear the tappet ticking but it's very minor and nothing to worry about, it's certainly not going to affect reliability.

If your OCD can't live with it then get a low mileage petrol car instead, I wouldn't waste your money on new tappets, just sell it.

Sounds a bit like the Injection Lash adjusters, they are a ball ended stud and a cup type screw adjuster which operate the Injectors, I replaced my and set up the Injection Lash correctly and cured the noise.

My is a 3 cyl and the parts including 6 new bolts came to over £130.00.

DB.

Yep, sounds like a diesel to me.

I honestly think your expectations are unreasonable, I can hear the tappet ticking but it's very minor and nothing to worry about, it's certainly not going to affect reliability.

If your OCD can't live with it then get a low mileage petrol car instead, I wouldn't waste your money on new tappets, just sell it.

I can't sell a car that's making a noise like that can I?

It sounds terrible, even more so when you're closer to the car.

Sounds a bit like the Injection Lash adjusters, they are a ball ended stud and a cup type screw adjuster which operate the Injectors, I replaced my and set up the Injection Lash correctly and cured the noise.

My is a 3 cyl and the parts including 6 new bolts came to over £130.00.

DB.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to get it booked in and checked out.

Have you tried listening thru a long bar/probe to pinpoint origin of noise?

I haven't mate no, I'm not a mechanic sadly but it's booked in for next Monday to have a look see what's going on.

Darkside developments have recommended replacing the full camshaft kit and that's £300. Was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that as I can't afford it but they've said either do it or don't do it.

If I replace just the followers I won't be gaining anything as the camshaft is likely to be worn. :(

I haven't mate no, I'm not a mechanic sadly but it's booked in for next Monday to have a look see what's going on.

Darkside developments have recommended replacing the full camshaft kit and that's £300. Was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that as I can't afford it but they've said either do it or don't do it.

If I replace just the followers I won't be gaining anything as the camshaft is likely to be worn. :(

And that includes timing belt and water pump + labour?

Noise will get louder as time rolls on (if camshaft is suspect) in which case could be ages or even years before you hear it above tick-over..choice obviously yours to call.

I would encourage you to get professional help to pinpoint problem area/ cause.

Edited by giandougl

And that includes timing belt and water pump + labour?

Already been done mate, had the belt done 3 weeks ago.

£300 is just for the camshaft kit from Darkside who recommended getting the full thing done or don't do it at all as I won't benefit from just getting the followers done.

I will likely get the EGR cleaned and an oil & filter change done at the same time so including labour I'm probably looking at nearer £500.

Edited by Crazylegs1892

Mine was tapping exactly the same, sometimes it would sound awful other days it would sound fine, turns out 2 of the lifters had been starved of oil... Paid £350 for the full camshaft kit had it fitted problem solved