To buy, or not to buy

Hi Guys,

Haven't been on here for a good couple of years after selling my Mk1 Fabia VRS. The time has come where I'd like the MK2. I have read any horror stories about the MK2 engine, but still like the cars.

The one I am looking at has 19k on and it's an 11 plate (FL11OEK, not sure if its anyone's off here)

My question is, are they still worth buying or am I going to have a lot of problems with it. The reason I ask is I am changing from a Mazda MPS that I have only had for a couple of months and that burns about 4 litres every 2k, so the dealer are allowing me to exchange the car for another as I don't want it.

I really like the VRS, but not sure what to do.

Cheers guys :)

I have had 2 and they have never burned oil.

the later CTHE engines are better , the one you are looking at is a CAVE engine, but that doesn't mean its bad.... MOST are fine, and burn no more than a litre every 5,000 miles or so. (my old CAVE engine used none at all, my new one uses about a litre every 5k)

best thing to do is look into the history of the car (or buy one from someone on here so you KNOW the history!lol) contack the previous owners, and ask about the car, and contact skoda to ask about warrenty work.

dont be put off , there are many good ones out there, I have one over 70k in these cars without issue...

just research the one you want to buy carefully ;)

Shark

• Like 3

Agree with everything Sharkrider has said.

I have a CAVE engine, it uses oil, runs great and I love it to bits.

Unfortunately there are some 'bad apples' out there. So if I was you buying a used one, I would try and stretch to a later car (12 plate onwards) to make sure you get the revised engine.

It has more power too which is nice!

But you can call Skoda UK customer services, give them the Reg plate and they can bring up any history of Warranty fixes and replacements for that vehicle. If it has a long illustrious history maybe avoid it. If its had an engine change in the past then that could be ok as it used to have a oil problem that now should have been fixed.

• Like 2

I had my 2011 vrs from new for 3years it didn't have a drink problem but I did have new spark plugs and fuel pump at 16k which skoda wouldn't cover under warranty. Now I've got a 2014 vrs and this too has been a good car so far (touch wood) my only advice is to play safe with the fuel and stick to v-power or tesco momentum and just enjoy the car :-)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies.

I took the advice and did some calling around and spoke to the dealer who had done the servicing on the car. Turns out it had been in twice on the space of 2 years for oil consumption tests as had been reported as using a lot of oil. The owner didn't take any action on both occasions, therefore I won't be going for that one.

• Like 2

I like this post.

There are many good ones, even ones that have had replacement engines.

This Dealership has given you the low down, after you asking.

Sadly there are a good few cars out there that had Oil Consumption tests,

maybe they had a Breather / Valve Mod and ECU update.

(After dealers told them, if the car passed the Consumption Test,, ie, Never used too much oil, the Owner would need to pay for the test.)

Then the car still uses oil, gets a second test, again the cr4p way they do it, 

they say it is within tolerances, 

People get shot of the car, maybe the Dealer or Skoda say they all are like that.

This is what i have been campaigning for Skoda UK and VW, Seat & Audi to take seriously,.

they leave these cars out in the trade,

It is them doing harm to the Reputation, not me that is just trying to get Alasdair Stewart Skoda UK Brand Manager 

& his bosses to take the Failures Seriously.

Identify Faulty cars and get them off the market.

george

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies.

I took the advice and did some calling around and spoke to the dealer who had done the servicing on the car. Turns out it had been in twice on the space of 2 years for oil consumption tests as had been reported as using a lot of oil. The owner didn't take any action on both occasions, therefore I won't be going for that one.

dont be put off though, when I traded in my old one at 50k and no oil usage at all, the dealer gave me a REALLY good trade in price against my new estate because they knew the car, had serviced it, knew its history, and wanted it on their forecourt... it sold within a month!!

there are MANY good ones out there, the bad ones are few.,.. but if the deal seem too good to be true it usually is!

our dealer had a STEAL recently, for 5 months they had an unregistered vRS estate in grey new stock (unregistered) , at £18500, of course they didnt sell it at that price, registered it (8 miles or something, never demonstrated) and it was up for £14,900 recently.... you cant buy a deisel fiesta for that much! BARGIN! dont know if they still have it! (just checked sold! :( )