Forge FMIC

Kast29

After a bit of advice really i brought a car with a forge FMIC and i thought they were the muts nuts but ive been reading that people struggle getting power + high EGT should i ditch the forge and get a welly cooler.?

also id like to get rid of the pancake pipe as it will only cause turbulance and disrupt the flow in my opinion. have many people used a K04 boost pipe and put a BAM or passenger side intake manifold on ??

Cheers

Many people have put the bam manifold on and used the charge pipe. The pancake pipe is fine tho nowt wrong with it.

Forge cooler is good but struggles i believe with flowing when going big power.. But best off waiting for someone more knowlegdable on the forge tbh

The Welly cooler will only be beneficial if you go beyond stage 2 in terms of cost and hassle. That said,the Welly cooler can be fitted and you'll get more for the forge fmic than the Welly cooler costs to fit!

If you're going to go down the BAM inlet route you will have to get rid of the pancake pipe anyway,so you may as well do the lot at the same time ;-)

• Like 1

After a bit of advice really i brought a car with a forge FMIC and i thought they were the muts nuts but ive been reading that people struggle getting power + high EGT should i ditch the forge and get a welly cooler.?

also id like to get rid of the pancake pipe as it will only cause turbulance and disrupt the flow in my opinion. have many people used a K04 boost pipe and put a BAM or passenger side intake manifold on ??

Cheers

Having owed a forge fmic and now a welly I have some experience.

Firstly folks who are saying forge don't work well and get welly blah blah high egt's etc should make that statement based on what the user wants and level car performance is being taken up to.

The forge is a fantastic piece of kit and works well. As it is a twin pass, true the flow rate is limited and to performance levels that a stage 1 or stage 2 on a std turbo will deal with quite happy. So no need to change if that is the levels you are happy with. I was more than happy with my forge at the time I was running early maps and a novice to tuning. Also forget changing pancake pipe as that is not anymore restrictive than any other routed pipe. The only reason pancake pipe becomes a problem is due to it's poor connection at back of engine and up to turbo using a poor hose and clip seal that is prone to boost leaks. If yours is not leaking then leave it alone[emoji4]

If you see yourself going to high tune levels like stage 2+ ( custom mapping for bigger injectors, fuelling, air and exhaust mapping and or a bigger turbo etc like I have then a change of FMIC to a single pass (inlet and outlet on opposite side) is a better option and prepares car for continued progression.

I have seen better performance on my install having gone higher than a typical stage 2.

I have also converted to BAM inlet manifold and BAM charge pipe to avoid any leaks and better simplification of hoses to and from FMIC which are as important and the performance mods themselves.

As Mark states you can sell a forge for lots of money and still have change left to fit a custom install if you really want to go that route, although not so for me when you pay for bam inlet/charge pipe/ special hoses/ BAM map pipe and custom hose to join map pipe to turbo etc as I am fussy.[emoji12]

IMG_20140829_152924891_zpszwktyvog.jpg

IMG_20140829_150347838_zpsfjyt4so0.jpg

I will be doing a welly install guide soon..

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Now wrong with my forge fmic

Again i agree with the 300bhp limit

If u plan a hybrid or such then yeah maybe a change?

Other than that just use wmi :)

Mine runs good figures with the forge and the psncake pipey

Tbh if i ever went bigger turbo id still keep it and use meth :)

well i plan on running a TD04 for while untill i get my project car done then swap them in the garage and work on the bottom end of the octy... and run around 300horse so the forge will do me untill i end up rebuilding the engine... but then again i want to run the BAM manifold and the nice boost pipe..... ive heard the 'welly cooler' banded around but i dont actually know what it is ... can any one point me in the right direction of one or what it is?

P.S Lloyd55vrs, you do realise this is your cousins old car  :)

My forge fmic ran out of flow at 300bhp....fitted a Welly cooler with no other changes to boost or timing and it went straight to 370bhp ;-)

If you're going for a TD04 do the Welly cooler and bam I let at the same time to save you making loads of different boost runs ;-)

What turbo you running for that kind if hp? Can you point me towards a welt cooler ?

IHI VF22 hybrid setup with jabba manifold ;-)

It's for sale if you want it,PM me if you're interested!

Welly is great..forge is great.

Welly is cheaper..forge is expensive.

Like it's been said,unless going for big power,I would leave it,if it's already there..

Mine couldn't get no more than 370bhp with a forge twinpass,soon as I fitted a welly,it shot right past 400..and some.

On a k03 I would stick to the forge,as it's already there.

Like it's been said,unless going for big power,I would leave it,if it's already there..

Mine couldn't get no more than 370bhp with a forge twinpass,soon as I fitted a welly,it shot right past 400..and some.

What he said^^^^^

But what if someone, ie, me, is still running a standard sidemount. Is the best option to head straight to the wellycooler?

Will it fit without losing the side grilles, as I'd rather not have pipework all on show.

But what if someone, ie, me, is still running a standard sidemount. Is the best option to head straight to the wellycooler?

Will it fit without losing the side grilles, as I'd rather not have pipework all on show.

The welly cooler is a big FMIC. It is not just a bolt in and off you go. Typically you will need car off the road a weekend if you really want to plumb it in well and like i did.

You will have to cut in bumper manly on the side grilles unless you fit cooler higher but i still don't think you will get away with it. It will compromise you still fitting std grill covers back on. As I have milotec grills i could cut about a bit

still tight but gives you a idea

IMG_20140827_103052985_zpsm1r8cwkg.jpg

IMG_20140827_105858419_zpsos0ihofw.jpg

IMG_20140824_193116306_zpsedyrj5ra.jpg

IMG_20140827_141504269_zpsaziuamed.jpg

IMG_20140827_145729486_zps0rznxgbs.jpg

IMG_20140827_145741762_zpspsipvopa.jpg

IMG_20140829_152944119_zpsj6lmp31f.jpg

IMG_20140829_155141331_zpsubm1vsl5.jpg

IMG_20140829_155148493_zpsfkahc3mp.jpg

IMG_20140829_155205604_zpsrpybvtfy.jpg

IMG_20140829_155233253_zpspmqg3wqs.jpg

The welly cooler is a big FMIC. It is not just a bolt in and off you go. Typically you will need car off the road a weekend if you really want to plumb it in well and like i did.

You will have to cut in bumper manly on the side grilles unless you fit cooler higher but i still don't think you will get away with it. It will compromise you still fitting std grill covers back on. As I have milotec grills i could cut about a bit

still tight but gives you a idea

IMG_20140827_103052985_zpsm1r8cwkg.jpg

IMG_20140827_105858419_zpsos0ihofw.jpg

IMG_20140824_193116306_zpsedyrj5ra.jpg

IMG_20140827_141504269_zpsaziuamed.jpg

IMG_20140827_145741762_zpspsipvopa.jpg

Does look fairly substantial that job.

Is there a choice which won't require me to change the front end? If it needs to be smaller, then when I go stage 2 it just won't make as much. I won't ever be needing to go above stage 2. I'm not in a place to start doing turbo conversions and big power jobs.

you have many options with FMIC 

you just have to decide where you want to take your car , and even then there is always someone that will buy the stuff you remove if you change your mind

Forge / Pro alloy etc are FMIC made for the job of quick install and easy of fitting but you pay through the nose on them

There is also a upgraded SMIC to remove your cooler std position.

There are then smaller FMIC that can do a good job that will need no cutting or minimal hassle.

Best to google and look at all the Golf MK4 1.8T build as as all over the net

Welly cooler is this one (named welly because someone userid was welly on Seat forum that first did the cooler mod)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200714376954?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1