Ooh, Mk. 2 and 3 VRS's are a bit dodgy aren't they? I'll be keeping my Mk. 1 for ever! :)

Heya all...

So had my Mk. 1, 2001 VRS for 4 years now, during which I have got her up to 140k pretty trouble-free, but fun fun fun miles! However, as she ages and gets more leggy, I start looking at Mk. 2's and Mk. 3's, with a view to maybe getting one to replace mine in a year or two.

I work as a Paramedic, and I had an RTC to attend to today (no real injuries you'll be pleased to hear...)

Anyway, the Bib also arrived to close the road off for us, in an unmarked car, a lovely Mk. 3 VRS. Looked great sitting there, in silver, with all the hidden blues going :D

After we had dealt with the incident, I said to the Policeman how nice it was, and how did he like driving the VRS? He was generally enthusiastic about it - good performance, good handing, comfortable, capacious load space etc.

However, he then threw me a curve ball which I wasn't expecting!! He said that this one, plus two others on his force, had suffered a total destructive engine failure, all at under 70,000 miles - from snapped timing chains!

I had no idea that the later models had gone over to a chain from a belt? But I know now! And it appears that it is a bit of an Achilles' heel - looking round the net, and on here, I have found more than a few cases of chain failure.

This has now put me off an upgrade - and made me want to stick with my Mk. 1 for ever, lol! Maybe I will, and it will end up like Trigger's broom...

Anyone else heard of this or had it?

The facelift mk2 vrs fitted with the TSI engine have had some early engine timing chain tensioner failures,mine is a pre facelift mk2 vrs which has a cambelt & has been/is a great car,its a vast improvement over my mk1 vrs that had(in my opinion). 

When you say the mk3 what reg was it? it is worrying if the mk3 is still having problems,i think the mk3 has only been out a year or so. I liked my mk1 vrs but always felt it was lacking something & wasnt the car i thought it should be,The mk2 ticks all the boxes for me,i dont like the mk3,i think it looks bland & the interior is cheap looking,this is the longest ive kept a car & dont expect to get rid for a while yet. 

Mk3 vrs has only been about just over a year (i think) so 70k is pushing it even for a traffic car

We have a 13 plate 530d with wait for it .................. 97k on the clock it's an ARV so gets used very hard but it is possible to get that high that quickly

Ironic also chains are supposed to be less hassle and maintenance than belts! But I agree with the op. The mk1 maybe isnt as refined or quite as quick as the mk2 but they are a very hard car and the more I look at other cars as a replacement for mine and research that cars faults the more it convinces me to keep mine. I still remember thinking about buying a mk2 diesel vrs and finding out about engines stalling at speed due to dodgy injectors and dpf's needing replaced costing £££. No thanks!!

mmm..... i know the feeling about looking mk2's and then changing my mind due to the problems!

Part of me wants to change up , mostly to post 2008 for the lower emissions based road tax, but.... its extremely hard to justify doing it!!

Our dilemma now is the mk1 is cracking on in years and miles now but ( my car anyway ) they are still going too well so justifying changing is difficult. Ive said for years the first time it breaks down or fails to start or doesnt pass an mot ( insert any other excuse here ) its getting sold, but it never ever lets me down. As for newer cars, we've probably got the last " simple " cars as I call it. Still modern enough but not hindered with loads of electric gadgets that no one ever needed in the first place. I never found pressing a button on my remote much bother or having to switch my own lights on. I can notice myself when its getting dark!! Now I'm trying to use the octavias fuel economy and high road tax as a reason to sell it but it always comes down to the same thing. It always starts, runs very well and passes mots every year. Damn!!

Ive never driven a mk2 so i cant comment on how they perform but the looks have certainly grown on me.

There was a saying on the primera owners club that went

The P10 was for the smiles and the P11 for the miles. Wonder if anything applies to the octy?

I test drove a mk2 vrs 170 diesel maybe 6 7 months ago and I actually posted on here how much I liked it. It felt pretty nippy lovely drive. Comfy, nicer interior by miles. Diesel though so probably not too relevant to this thread. But how much is a bit of extra torque and some more refinement worth? Comparing the Mk1 petrol v Mk2 petrol I wouldnt have thought to be much difference regarding road tax or fuel economy. And I wouldnt say the Mk1 was an uncomfortable car. And I still think after all the years the Mk1 is by far the better looking car.

I wouldn't buy a modern diesel (out of warranty). The higher purchase cost coupled with the potential for big repair bills (injectors, pumps, dpf, egr etc) far outweigh any cost savings at the pumps.

Absolutely spot on totally agree. It's one of the reasons why I'm still in my Octavia. Going off topic a little here but I've started looking at the Fabia vrs now.

My best m8 has a 2007 vrs diesel its a very nice car [more cabin noise than petrol] hes had it since new it s had a superchip blue fin map 200bhp on it for years as well with no issues its on 90k he drives it hard as well and still gets 45+mpg on a run

The only prob was it had an official recall on injectors and that was fixed foc I would say all injectors would have been replaced by now,

The dpf is only a problem if you only drive around town it needs to be cleaned out by driving up the motorway/duel carriageway for it to regenerate I think it says in the hand book

I had a mk2 vrs petrol it was a nice car much cheaper than the diesel for the same year and spec but running cost the same as mk1 vrs I thought it would be better on fuel but its not ,I got a bit bored of it and it felt a bit run of the mill so I cashed in and sold it ,and bought my mk1 4x4 ,

If happy with the mk1 keep it ,the mk2 is an upgrade as its newer,bigger,more comfortable,and a bit more normal and run of the mill as its not a drivers car like the mk1.

I suppose a car can be a bit too refined for some people and I did feel a bit detached from the drive in the mk2. What it comes down to is it just wasnt quite good enough to make me want to sell my mk1.