Octavia Tdi what clutch

Hi Again Guys

I have an Octavia tdi, first registered  February 1999. I think the clutch might need replacing soon. The local Skoda dealer can't tell from the chassis number if it has DMF or not. If it has DMF I'd like to change it to SMF but which flywheel would fit? Would it have to be new?

Thanks in advance

Edited by paulkennedy

037105273c is the g60 flywheel that everyone seems to go for. Then they use a mk3 vr6 clutch. You will also need the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts and a clutch release bearing. 1999 is generally the changeover year from smf to dmf. If you have an agr engine they changed from engine no agr28000 to a dmf setup. Your dealer should be able to tell you better than me and I'm surprised that they were not more helpful. I'm using the smf 037105273c g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch and I can't say anything bad about it. The genuine listed smf flywheel is 028105269b or 028105269bx this was fitted upto agr engine no 28000. Probably your best bet is to check out darkside developments they will sell you everything you need. Don't bother with the cheap rubbish on ebay.

037105273c is the g60 flywheel that everyone seems to go for. Then they use a mk3 vr6 clutch. You will also need the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts and a clutch release bearing. 1999 is generally the changeover year from smf to dmf. If you have an agr engine they changed from engine no agr28000 to a dmf setup. Your dealer should be able to tell you better than me and I'm surprised that they were not more helpful. I'm using the smf 037105273c g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch and I can't say anything bad about it. The genuine listed smf flywheel is 028105269b or 028105269bx this was fitted upto agr engine no 28000. Probably your best bet is to check out darkside developments they will sell you everything you need. Don't bother with the cheap rubbish on ebay.

Thanks for the info I'll start by checking the engine number. Dealer wasnt too interested as I only wanted info, he said theyd have to remove the box for a look first.. I was thinking of using a clutch/flywheel from an AFN passat that I have, would it work. Do they all have the concentric release bearing? It's an old car I dont want to spend a fortune on it. 

Yes concentric bearing . Gsf do the bearing luk make £12 all the same for your 02j gearbox. 037105273c flywheel from a vw breaker expect to pay £50 then buy the best clutch kit you can afford for a mk3 golf vr6 probably around £80 if you shop around. Then you need 5 flywheel bolts 17mm head on them your dmf bolts won't fit. Gsf should do them. Then you need the pressure plate bolts can't remember how many there is but there the longer type maybe from a vw dealer. Ask for pressure plate bolts from a mk3 vr6 aaa engine. So about £160 for the lot.

• Like 1

Yes concentric bearing . Gsf do the bearing luk make £12 all the same for your 02j gearbox. 037105273c flywheel from a vw breaker expect to pay £50 then buy the best clutch kit you can afford for a mk3 golf vr6 probably around £80 if you shop around. Then you need 5 flywheel bolts 17mm head on them your dmf bolts won't fit. Gsf should do them. Then you need the pressure plate bolts can't remember how many there is but there the longer type maybe from a vw dealer. Ask for pressure plate bolts from a mk3 vr6 aaa engine. So about £160 for the lot.

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. Is that part number for a DMF. A mate suggested he could weld the DMF on the car is this a solution? Plenty of VAG cars in my local scrappy but which car to get a solid flywheel off? Polo? Mk3? Caddy?

Part Number is for the single mass. You could weld it but the original clutch for a dual mass has no absorption rings so you might have problems. 037105273c flywheel is the one I'm using that came out of a Corrado g60. Your other option is the 028105269b or 028105269bx smf flywheel which is from a t4 transporter td I believe and looks identical to the 037105273c. . The clutch will be 230 mm.

• Like 1