Woolwich Ferry users anyone?

bertone

Driving back from Kent this afternoon on M2 / A2, I decided, having seen the stationary traffic trying on get on the slip road towards the Dartford toll crossing, to continue on the A2 and though the Blackwall tunnel.

However, just out of interest and not having not used the Woolwich ferry for 25 years, I decided to give it a try.

I reached the entry road to the ferry without problem but then, was confronted with a queue of traffic and a sign saying "Delay 1 hour!"

I immediately did a U turn and headed back to Blackwall.

So my point is, who does and why use the ferry?

If anyone utilises the ferry, I would be interested in their experiences.

Thanks

Edited by bertone

i have used it when working in the area, if it saves a few miles driving its worth waiting for a ferry (not an hour as even in London you can get a fair way in that time) if you are nearby and you want to get somewhere near to the docking on the other side it saves a lot of driving and its makes a nice change to fighting London traffic.

Many thanks for your responses, Guys.

I assume that many HGVs can't use the Blackwall tunnels due to their height?

I might try it again sometime but going north to south.

Blackwall has a 4m height limit (going north) so a quite a few trucks can still use it,

Woolwich ferry can make a nice change but it’s rare to get even a 15 min break in there (and certainly not on the ferry)