DRL plus rear lights

Big S

Is there any way to have my DRLs switched on full brightness AND have rear lights on too? With these grey mornings I would like to have my back end lit up. The parking light brightness is too weak out on the open road, and my extra-bright headlight bulbs don't last that long.

Is there any way to have my DRLs switched on full brightness AND have rear lights on too? With these grey mornings I would like to have my back end lit up. The parking light brightness is too weak out on the open road, and my extra-bright headlight bulbs don't last that long.

what I do is turn the headlight switch to the middle (side lights on) and then pull it back to turn your fog lights on so then you have front fog lights lit on and the rear lights also working so it looks just like having DRLs on and your rear lights on as well, that's the closest you'll get it unless you buy some really bright LED sidelights and just use them instead of the fog lights

I believe this can be done via vcds.

Maybe better just pay the money you need to to use bulbs when it is lighting up time,

rather than worry about saving the bulbs.

'DRL's'

Daylight Running Lights, or Daytime Running Lights,

but not a replacement for when Lights need put on in bad visibility or poor lighting.

RE,  'The Parking Light',

it is one sidelight on front and rear, (& one Number plate Bulb)

and come on  when you are parked, keys out and put the Indicator stalk down.

Sidelights are the lights on as a Pair.

There is really nothing worse than a vRS with DRL's on in Gloomy Mornings when they should be on dipped beam.

PS

ang9444,

Fabia Mk2 vRS do not have Front Fog lights.

& they do have pretty Bright Sidelights.

Bright enough to annoy other road users who can mistake them for Driving Lights or Fog lights when on with the head lights.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Yes, definitely it can be done.  I agree ones rear should be lit up as well as the front when using DRL's.

My Monte has been converted by my local Skoda dealer David Ian Skoda Morecambe 01524 844666

so that DRL's & rear lights + side lights are operating when the ignition is switched on.

I've also fitted Cree bulbs to the DRL's & side lights, no Canbus problems. 

Standard head lights; next to useless. I fitted Osram H7 Night Breaker Unlimited, an improvement but

the headlights are not as effective as the headlights on my MX5.  The MX5 Night Breaker Unlimited are twin

filiment & the dipped beam remains on when the main beam is operating. 

I've used David Ian for various Skodas since 2004, great personal service.  I'm not sure how the conversion

was achieved, computer wizardy no doubt.

Speak with James or Peter if you need help.

Keith

Edited by keithw

PMSL at Standard Headlights (Dipped) being next to useless in Daytime, but DRL's made Brighter are better.

It is vRS DRL's the OP is speaking about i think , not Monte Carlo ones.

Nobody is liable to not see vRS DRLs coming towards them,

they might wonder what they are,

from the distance you can not be sure if they are Some Volvo or Porsche models which use the Same DRL unit.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Maybe better just pay the money you need to to use bulbs when it is lighting up time,

rather than worry about saving the bulbs.

'DRL's'

Daylight Running Lights, or Daytime Running Lights,

but not a replacement for when Lights need put on in bad visibility or poor lighting.

RE,  'The Parking Light',

it is one sidelight on front and rear, (& one Number plate Bulb)

and come on  when you are parked, keys out and put the Indicator stalk down.

Sidelights are the lights on as a Pair.

There is really nothing worse than a vRS with DRL's on in Gloomy Mornings when they should be on dipped beam.

PS

ang9444,

Fabia Mk2 vRS do not have Front Fog lights.

& they do have pretty Bright Sidelights.

Bright enough to annoy other road users who can mistake them for Driving Lights or Fog lights when on with the head lights.

oh okay I thought he was talking about a monte.. my bad lol, my sidelights are awful but I haven't seen them on a vRS

Thanks everyone. Mine is a vRS with LED DRLs and no foglights. (And fragile Osram night breakers which nearly compensate for the dire black pack headlights). Looks like I need to change the country code to something (any idea what?) via VCDS to get rear lights on. Shame, I am set to Australia now so that I can have the digital speedo - guess I can't have both!

I think it's one of the Scandinavian countries that you need to set the Central Electronics (module 9) to. That won't affect the digital speedo function as that's set in the instruments.

Edited by PhilTheGeek
  • Like 1

There doesn't seem to be an option for Scandinavian countries in module 9. Uk, rest of world, Canada, us, Saudi, Mexico or Brazil. Any more ideas please? There is nothing obvious in the vcds

• 4 years later...
On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 23:52, fabiamk2SE said:

I believe this can be done via vcds.

I managed to do this using VCDS.

There was an option in there, that went along the lines of sidelights on with ignition.

I enabled [ticked] said option, saved and exited from VCDS.

Now I can drive with sidelights + rear lights + number plate light and DRL; a–la Volvo/SAAB cars of the 1980s; in my opinion 'proper' DRLs.