Take a risk? Need advice

Needing some advice from you guys, The last couple of days i'v been reading up about these Fabia VRS's and Iv seen lots of people having a lot of problems with these engines and needing to replace engines etc, I'v only had the car now 2 weeks and had no problems so far, I love the car its so fun to drive and want to keep it but as i have no warranty on the car as i bought it privately i wouldn't have the money to be forking out if i had to get the engine rebuild or had any big problems down the line,  

So what do you guys think " Take a risk and keep it and hopefully iv no problems" or "Sell it and get a more reliable car"

????

The vast majority of cars are fine. How old is the car and how many miles on it mate? The older CAVE engine was more notorious for oil use and problems and the newer CTHE is less likely to have issues but there are off course still a few lemons out there.

We are on our second mk2 vRS and both have been fine (first was a 2011 car).

Might be worth looking into a third party warranty?

I'd contact skoda uk with the reg number and find out if there is any warranty history. If there is a history of failed oil consumption tests and /or "oil breather mod" and no replacement engine then I'd be very wary.

At the end of the day tho you have already bought the car so I'd just relax and enjoy it as much as possible. If you start noticing you are topping up with oil a lot with regular appearance of the yellow oil warning light then I'd consider moving it on. Otherwise just have fun!

• Like 4

Pretty much agree with Tom.

What mileage have you done so far yourself and have you checked typical oil usage? What mileage on the clock?

Your's sounds like a 2010 /2011 plate, so as Tom suggests check the cars history if serviced by Skoda Dealership..

Keep serviced by SKODA or VW.

As George will tell you ,check the plugs and have then changed at a higher frequency than otlined in the owners manual -say at 25000-30000 miles.

Above all enjoy and have driving fun.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 2

Not sure if this is a serious thread

Surely if you are spending the kind of money you have to spend to get a Mk2 vRS you do your homework BEFORE buying the car, not after

Only you can decide whether it's financially viable to sell it on again straight away......I for one would be very suspicious of a car being moved on after only a few weeks of ownership, so at a guess you might end up losing chunks of money on it

You mention nothing about age or mileage for any advice to be anything other than mere speculation

Enjoy your car, many more good than bad ones.

In the UK it is £500 - £600 to buy a 2 year Skoda Approved Extended Warranty which gives peace of mind.

What Warranty has your Car, a UK 3 Year Manufacturers, or a 2 Year Original,

& has the Car got a Service History, any Warranty Work been needed / Carried out?

(DSG Service Campaign Field Action Required on been done, Heated Seat Service Campaign required / Done.)

So is the Car still within the Original Manufacturers Warranty.

When First Registered, How Many Miles.

ie. CAVE before Late 2012,

or CTHE After Late 2012.

If the car is good, then perfect, get a Warranty & enjoy it.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Also in Ireland we have no companies that allow us to buy 3rd party warranty.

Really? That's strange as a quick search on google shows up plenty of companies offering used car warranties, such as this one:

http://www.carprotect.ie

Or are you saying that it's just the Fabia vRS that they won't touch?

• Like 1

So is it possibly not covered by a 3 year Manufacturers Warranty as Skoda UK give,

just a 2 Year EU type Warranty?

You need to see if Skoda do Extended Warranties then.

Other EU but not UK Members have Extended Warranties.

Really? That's strange as a quick search on google shows up plenty of companies offering used car warranties, such as this one:

Thats a website i came across and got a quote but "The maximum amount payable on each individual claim inclusive of VAT is 2,500 euro." Surly a new engine would cost more than .

So is it possibly not covered by a 3 year Manufacturers Warranty as Skoda UK give,

just a 2 Year EU type Warranty?

You need to see if Skoda do Extended Warranties then.

Other EU but not UK Members have Extended Warranties.

Only off the phone to Skoda there, When car was bought it had a 2 year warranty so its out and there's no way of me getting a extended warranty she said.

As you said there was "Plenty" of companies offering used car warranties would you like to give me more you came across ?? 

Thats a website i came across and got a quote but "The maximum amount payable on each individual claim inclusive of VAT is 2,500 euro." Surly a new engine would cost more than .

Ahh that's where they get you! Ummm could be a problem.

Did the Lady on the phone say that there are no 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranties' available for Used Skoda under 6 years old or 60,000 miles in Ireland.

Ireland is a EU Country, so hopefully Skoda do have Used Car Warranties or some other provider does.

You do not cover for at least £6,000 or what ever in Euro.

Did the Lady on the phone say that there are no 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranties' available for Used Skoda under 6 years old or 60,000 miles in Ireland.

Ireland is a EU Country, so hopefully Skoda do have Used Car Warranties or some other provider does.

You do not cover for at least £6,000 or what ever in Euro.

No the girl on the phone said there was no option for me to take out any warranty on the car,

I'm having a very hard timing finding somewhere that dose provide warranty for me..  

As you said there was "Plenty" of companies offering used car warranties would you like to give me more you came across ??

http://www.mapfrewarranty.ie

https://capitalcover.ie/product/gap-extended-warranty#

Couple more for you, don't know if you have tried these already or not. Looks like the second one offers gap and extended warranty. :-)

• Like 1

& who was she,

and what qualifications might she have to lead her to that belief.?

Best contact Skoda HQ, or some Dealership Face to Face, or in Writing if you want a Good Warranty on a 3 year old car with only 28,000 miles,

There must be some options.

PS

Newbie69 is in France,  car more than 2 years old,

& he has a Warranty on his car i believe, with good cover.

Maybe he can say who the Warranty Company are.

PPS,

if all is well with the Car / Engine, just enjoy it and do not worry,

only 2 or 3 in ever 10 of the 1,800 CAVE vRS in the UK had Issues i believe.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

& who was she,

and what qualifications might she have to lead her to that belief.?

Best contact Skoda HQ, or some Dealership Face to Face, or in Writing if you want a Good Warranty on a 3 year old car with only 28,000 miles,

There must be some options.

PS

Newbie69 is in France,  car more than 2 years old,

& he has a Warranty on his car i believe, with good cover.

Maybe he can say who the Warranty Company are.

PPS,

if all is well with the Car / Engine, just enjoy it and do not worry,

only 2 or 3 in ever 10 of the 1,800 CAVE vRS in the UK had Issues i believe.

I'm gonna go down to the main dealer monday and try my best if not I'm gonna still keep the car and hopefully I don't have any problems..

Thanks everyone for the help :)

Like others have said it doesn't matter what car you go for now, they all seem to have some hidden gremlins that the majority of people especially those who don't use forums aren't aware of.

I wasn't aware of any issues with the Fabia vRS before I bought one but happened to be one of the unlucky ones.

You'll find more negativity generally on forums than positive feedback as most people only come hunting through forums when they have or think they have an issue.

Car buying and preference is personal, do what you think is best. If it's not using oil and not a problem keep hold of it. If any problems arise you can always part ex it (a bit immoral some may say) but who cares, look after no.1 and all that...

• Like 1