Airbox / Running Issues

Hey all, Sorry to bother everyone with what might seem a trivial issue.

I have recently replaced the air box on my Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi 2006 Auto with a sporty cone filter to allow it to breath a little better but noticed that it was revving like mad before changing gear. A lot like it was in sport mode constantly. Was getting large plooms of black smoke to rear too. 

Decided that I would revert back to the original air box but A: not sure if i've put it back in properly as there is a black pipe hanging from the bottom of it that Im not sure where it goes and B: its still running a little funny. 

Was having issues around 2000 RPM where it would fumble a bit and sometimes Im losing power and feel like the turbo isn't kicking in. 

Ive connect the airmass meter back up and have double checked it as i know this sometimes can be a symptom of this packing in. 

Any ideas? Could it be this pipe hanging from the bottom of the filter?

Thanks for any help people!