Engine Management Light?

You could always get a cheap scanner. I have this one - you can read fault codes and turn warning lights out with it.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U281-VW-Audi-Skoda-OBD2-VAG-CAN-BUS-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-/380740117082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58a5e1225a

Sulayman95, what age and mileage is your Fab?

I bought a Gendan Maxscan about 4 years ago for around £60. Having several vag cars in our family means that it has paid for itself several times as a dealer would charge at least £30 to check your codes.

Once you have read the codes, just look it up on BRISKODA to help diagnose your problem.

You are on the right forum for help and advice - good people!

My mileage is around 84K and its a 53 Reg.

I know the mechanic pretty well hes a friend of my uncles so yeah he does it cheap for me. He'll probably only charge me to fix the problem. 

That tool is handy that especially for £12! Might have to get one soon! 

Took the car to the mechanic today.. As soon as he told me to bring the car on to the bay it went off... Now I got to wait till it comes back on again. Do you rekon if i buy that cheap scanner TMB mentioned above I can hook it up and will it tell me the error code even if the engine management light isnt on?

Took the car to the mechanic today.. As soon as he told me to bring the car on to the bay it went off... Now I got to wait till it comes back on again. Do you rekon if i buy that cheap scanner TMB mentioned above I can hook it up and will it tell me the error code even if the engine management light isnt on?

Yes. The light comes on to tell you fault has been logged, it often goes off after being started a certain number of times. The fault will still be there.

Just wanted some advice on how to use the diagnostic tool before it arrives. Do i need to keep the engine on while I do it? How long does it take? 

Thanks

With the ignition off, plug the scanner into the diagnostic socket behind the small cubby box on the driver's side (pull the lid so it's hanging right down to access socket) and then switch the ignition on. Then you have to select menus etc but it only takes seconds to do a scan when you get used to it. The engine is not started at all.

It's all clearly explained in the instruction book you get with it :)

Received the diagnostic tool today.. Surprised how easy it was to use. Anyway 2 codes came up which are 

DTC:02

16686 - 02/02 = Cylinder 2 Misfire 

17978 - 01/02 

The book which came with it only tells me the definition for 1 code and im not sure what the second one means.. 

Also how do i fix the misfire? My mechanic did tell me it might be misfiring when I had an oil change as the car shakes a little but I didn't bother getting it checked. 

Cheers guys

Edited by sulayman95

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16686/P0302/000770

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17978/P1570/005488

Coil pack is the most likely culprit for the first code, second code is probably occasional, swap coil packs between 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 to see if the misfire moves to the adjacent cylinder, if so replace the coil pack and clear the codes.

Edited by sepulchrave

Immobiliser code 17978 being thrown up is very common. I get it coming up on mine as well. Just clear it and see if it comes back. If you have no problems with starting the car I wouldn't worry about it.

Immobiliser code 17978 being thrown up is very common. I get it coming up on mine as well. Just clear it and see if it comes back. If you have no problems with starting the car I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah my immobiliser is fine. No problems with starting the car. Only going to fix the misfire. I always had a feeling it was misfiring but never really looked in to it. Still no codes have shown just yet so dont know whats going on.. "sepulchrave" mentioned above that they normally come up within a min or 2. Thats not happened so not sure whats going on LOL

Yeah my immobiliser is fine. No problems with starting the car. Only going to fix the misfire. I always had a feeling it was misfiring but never really looked in to it. Still no codes have shown just yet so dont know whats going on.. "sepulchrave" mentioned above that they normally come up within a min or 2. Thats not happened so not sure whats going on LOL

Maybe it was a dodgy connection and you've fixed it. Result!

Tried it again this morning and as expected the same error "16686" has returned. So it cant be the coil pack.. What shall I try now? Spark plugs? They were changed in February when we purchased the car..

Also 17978 has not come back! 

Thanks!

Edited by sulayman95