Need advise on repair of wing

Hi,

I need some advise on whether I should repair or replace my drivers side front wing. A few weeks ago in Tesco, a young boy fell off his bike and landed on the wing which caused a few impact dents and quite a lot of different crease lines running in different directions. I had the local pdr man I have used in the past assess the wing and there is to many creases to repair and it would not look 100%. I have had a few different quotes from my local bodyshops and the Skoda approved bodyshop repair comes with a lifetime guarantee and the cost is £570 including vat to repair and paint the wing blending into the drivers door or replace the wing and paint at a cost of £700 including vat. The second quote was to repair and paint the wing blending into the door and this would cost £380 including vat or another £150 on top to change the wing and paint. The third quote is way overboard to repair the wing and blend into the door at a cost of £690 including vat. The fourth quote would be to paint and repair the wing plus blending into the door of £350 including vat.

I managed to contact the grandparents of the boy who caused the damage and they are willing to pay towards the cost of the repair but with grandfathers experience in bodyshop repair he is not willing to pay anymore than around £200 towards the repair as he said the quotes are too high. I am not sure which way to go but I am pretty sure I will be paying something towards this repair.

Here is a picture of the wing but due to the light it does not really show all the different crease lines on the wing.

post-94689-0-95512500-1414144725_thumb.jpg

Edited by themul

I would get it assessed by a different pdr man, that looks like it will come out.  There are several ways to go on this.  Where paint is concerned inexpensive usually = cheap job so don't be thinking you will get the same level of quality if you pay less. Regardless of the man experience in paint shops the liability rests with him, get three quotes, present them to him and ask him to pay, if not goto small claims court.

I would get it assessed by a different pdr man, that looks like it will come out.  There are several ways to go on this.  Where paint is concerned inexpensive usually = cheap job so don't be thinking you will get the same level of quality if you pay less. Regardless of the man experience in paint shops the liability rests with him, get three quotes, present them to him and ask him to pay, if not goto small claims court.

Hi,

I have spent a long time looking at every avenue and have had three different pdr men look at the job and they have over 20 years experience each and they all came to the conclusion that yes they could get a lot of the creases out but it would not be perfect and you would still see some marks when looking at the wing at different angles in good sunlight. The picture I posted above does not really show the true extent of the damage and if you could see the damage in person you would see quite a few more creases than the picture above shows and this is over 50% of the panel.

I really dont want to get this painted but after trying for a few weeks and getting three different opinions about the damage and I also know one of the pdr men I will just have to go ahead and get the wing painted.

I have already had work done at two of the bodyshops above and the repair to my previous car was very good and I spent ages looking around all the paintwork and gaps but could not find any problems and the colour match was very good.  When it comes to my cars I am very particular and having seen there work first hand but just wanted others opinions on whether I should go with the skoda approved repairer which is £570 and do an excellent job with lifetime repair guarantee or go with my second choice at £350 and they also do a good job as well and cover their repairs for 3 years.

If it was me I would look around for a good used wing in the correct colour which would reduce the labour cost and then if need be have it painted.

There must be some out there and the at least it wont be full of filler.

Small claims would depend on the age of the boy. Under 16, wasting your time.

Small claims would depend on the age of the boy. Under 16, wasting your time.

Thanks to everyone who posted so far and the boy is only 11 years old, so no joy with claims court but the grandfather has offered money towards the bill and the best quote is £300 to repair the wing and blend into the door.

I'm certain that dent would come out perfectly with the right person doing the repair.

The OP's car is a 2012, not even 3 years old, so there is no way on this earth that I would think of putting a second hand wing on the car. Even in the same colour, a different wing will have been painted at the factory at a different time to the OP's car, and there will be a very noticable difference in colour. You wouldn't be able to guarantee that any second hand wing hasn't had a repair and respray either, and even factors such as the length of time it has sat in direct sun will have an effect on the actual colour it appears.

Even if they say a dentless repair would be slightly noticable in certain direct light, I would try that out first -- the results may well be that good that you wouldn't need or want to go any further. What I would avoid at all costs if possible is extra or different paint on the wing.

Mike

Hi,

I will not be changing the wing as I don't want to risk problems with fitting and gaps plus the colour match would most likely not be right. I had three different pdr men look at the wing and they all said the same it would not look perfect as there are too many creases running in different direction across a large area of the wing and we did discuss this at great length.The cost to fix the wing and it still not being correct was not worth the cost of the pdr repair. I don't won't to get the wing painted but having spent weeks of time looking into this I feel the only answer is to get a body shop repair done at a cost of £300 including vat.

The picture above does not show the true extent of the creases which are not very deep but are inwards and outwards on the wing and a small dent at the front light. If this could have been fixed by my local pdr man it would have been as I have said before he looked at it in great detail and once you look at the wing at an angle you would see what I mean.

I have had a pm from a briskoda member who works in a bodyshop and he also agreed not to change the wing and leave the original wing in place and a bodyshop repair would be fine.

Thank you for your post

Edited by themul

That dent will pull out of there fairly easily, no need to replace that wing, a decent bodyshop would make short work of that, I would estimate it costing around £250.

The price I have been quoted is £300 inc vat and I have had a car painted at this particular bodyshop a few years ago and they did a very good job and I spent ages looking around the car and could not find a fault.

I am just off the phone to the boys grandfather and he is going to pay the £300 repair bill, so this looks like the road I am going to take and finally just move on. Things could have been worse if the boy had hit my car maybe a minute or so later as I would have been gone and none the wiser and then discovered the damage and had to pay the full cost of the repair myself.