Timing/Cam Belt Change Frequency

After getting a second post card reminder I managed to contact Gordon Lamb Skoda. They had still not noted that I'd had an early cam belt change done by them at ~52k in Nov 2012. Now done 73k miles. I asked the recommended interval. Every 5 years 144,000 miles was the reply. I think staff member really meant km though. So a while yet before the next change is due either way. Service person also thought everyone with a 5 year old diesel Octavia was getting a reminder.

I think its just the usual dealer practice,im always getting letters/texts from mine,i had a letter telling me my octavia was overdue its cambelt change 6 months after they had replaced it!  :notme: i was also getting texts saying my mot was due in july.......its due in september........ :D ..........i also get letters telling me they really want to buy my car & invites to vip events......all go in the bin. 

4 years- 5 years seems to be ever changing. I think I got jumpy with my early cam belt change.

I also get letters telling me they really want to buy my car & invites to VIP events..... and also all go into the bin.

• Like 1

I just had a Cam belt + waterpump replaced. The recommended interval for my car is 80.000 miles. I booked my car in for a service and the person at the service desk alerted me of the cam belt job. They don't often send letters. I would love to go to "VIP Events" but my dealer is not really interested in me. Probably thinks I am a cheapskate driving a 2005 135k mile car :-)

Edited by Manske

• 2 years later...

Mine was changed at 36k in 2010, now at 99.5k. It's a 2005 1.9tdi PD estate. I know interval is longer in Europe although perhaps not that long. I've visually checked the belt regularly and it still looks great but it's booked in next week. £220 plus cost of water pump.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geordiepoole said:

Mine was changed at 36k in 2010, now at 99.5k. It's a 2005 1.9tdi PD estate. I know interval is longer in Europe although perhaps not that long. I've visually checked the belt regularly and it still looks great but it's booked in next week. £220 plus cost of water pump.

so 7 years and 63k miles? WOW!