Best LED DLR lamps - did we ever work this out?

Yeti_Man

Hi guys, does anyone know if we came to a final conclusion regarding which LED bulbs fitted and worked reliably in the DLR housings of the pre FL Yeti? I thought the conclusion was that the Camaro ones worked but were expensive... Having just read through some posts though I'm now not convinced they even fit! As I'm in the US currently I was planning on popping into the Chevrolet dealer in the next couple of weeks and picking a pair up but I'm not convinced they were the solution I thought they were. Any advice great fully received.

From my experience with the Superb get a pair of CREE ones that have additional SMD’s mounted around the sides (so they also use the reflector)

Something like these (picture for illustration purposes only... make sure the fitting is correct for your application)

T10-25w-5x5W-cree-CANBUS.jpg

I have also fitted them to my reversing lights in my MKI Superb and wow what a difference!

Thanks Gizmo, that's great however I think fitment into the yetis tight housing was an issue... The Camaro ones were too long iirc but ill look at the above ones. Cree Led products are so cheap out here, hence my thought on grabbing the upgrade whilst here. :)

Yes the CREE bulbs are dear, I put of buying them 1st time round but when 1 failed after approx 18 months I upgraded them to CREEs they are worth the extra IMO.

What fitment are the pre F/L DRL’s?

I also want to upgrade the standard 'yellow' bulbs to ULTRA bright (CREE) LEDs' so can someone here tell is if the DRL are H7, H4 or something different???

The issue with the classic Yeti is that the bulb is a special P13W fitment. IIRC there has never been a bulb that fits and works without a bulb warning or some kind of electrickery to keep the bulb warning at bay.

The P13W fitment is a quirky one and I'm looking for a LED straight swap bulb as well. They are hard to find though.

Cars Equipment sell some and also the resisters that are needed as well. No idea how good they are, but at least you can get both bits from the same place with some kind of company behind them.

From all the previous threads about this subject, I don't think anyone has yet found an LED fitting that has not needed to have resistors fitted eventually. Some have been "safe" for a short time and then later brought up the bulb failure system. Even SuperSkoda discontinued theirs due to problems.

I got a pair or reversing lights from Superskoda 2 months ago and they are GREAT.

Sometimes the bulb error warning comes up and sometimes it doesn't.

Flew through the MOT back in August despite the maxi dot warnings, because BOTH bulbs work fine.

Kitten and I just ignore the warning :)

I got a pair or reversing lights from Superskoda 2 months ago and they are GREAT.

Sometimes the bulb error warning comes up and sometimes it doesn't.

Flew through the MOT back in August despite the maxi dot warnings, because BOTH bulbs work fine.

Kitten and I just ignore the warning :)

Off topic regarding DRLs but to add, I have the Superskoda LED reversing lamps and they are superb although I just looked on the site and I can't see them anymore (did see some other cool stuff and there's 20% discount on at the moment and despite promising myself to not buy anything more..... rats.). 

I haven't had any errors with these bulbs and it's interesting to see them pulse 5 times each in turn when the ignition is switched on and the bulb check process does its thing - enough volts there to illuminate LEDs.