Warning light for power assisted steering on dashboard. HELP

Hi,

I just recently got a warning light for power assisted steering on my dashboard.

Managed to get it hooked up to a VAG com machine.

Error reads:

Fault code: 01290

Description: Reference voltage Assisted Steering

State:

Short circuit to earth

Short circuit to earth in the line connection from the power steering sensor to the control unit

Power Assisted steering operating in emergency mode. Steering definitely heavier.

One thing I have noticed is that the error goes after cold start and always returns shortly after using steering wheel. If engine has been of for a while.

My battery is serviceable. Terminals require cleaning. Earth from batter to body looks rusty.

Has anybody got any experience of this issue and what will remedy the problem?

Looking to get my alternator refurbished if possible its a bit noisy possible bearing fault.  If not then new Bosch replacement.

Tests indicate alternator is supplying sufficient charge to battery. Being slightly out but I've been told its not too much to worry about by auto electrician.

Need to get this fixed as car is due for MOT soon.

Thanks,

Stephen

Edited by 8koda4abia

Would this one work. I'm not sure what type of pump it is.

Here

I just have to find a cable.

Thanks

I think that may be the right one, you may not need the cable if there's nothing wrong with it, take a look at yours, you should be able to see it with a torch quite clearly.

Ok. Can somebody please tell me how to work out whether I have TRW or Koyo configuration. I'm pretty sure its the first. As my car is an early model 2001.  

I love fixing things but cars are really very new to me only been driving just over a year.

Also is there anyone on the forum who could help me with this. I don't fancy going to the dealership they don't seem interested in helping me here in Telford.

Thanks

Early 2001 is more likely to be Koyo, if so then your angle sensor will be one with the non-detachable cable, the sensor above is for the later TRW system. Koyo pumps are encapsulated in disintegrating plastic crap, TRW pumps are not.

Mine is early 2000 and it's Koyo, I just pulled off all the encapsulation since all it does is hold water.

• Like 1