LED upgrade of the entry lights (ext. mirrors)

This is a fairly common upgrade across the VAG range, it takes big balls to remove the glass but they are not hard to do (try and get your fingers behind the glass as far as possible) and don’t do it if its really cold as everything will be more fragile.

That clip shows you all you need to know, even if he was a little ham fisted in places.

It must be me, but with the potential of breakage & all the faffing about to achieve a little brighter light which is only on for seconds - can't see the point.

Hi

According to the manual I've got from ledperf they're using a small screwdriver to remove two screws behind the mirror and the front part will pop of then you remove the mirror glass by gently pull the small hatches.

May takes some extra time but maybe saves some money in the end :)

The manual are copyrighted and therefore I will not upload it. Bad part it's only in French, and it's locked pdf file :/

Thanks for the replies guys.

I watched the video again...and...what is that small piece of plastic that falls out at 3:00?? Visible from 2:15.

I got the interior light set from LED performance as well, completed the swap no problem but as of yet haven't got the nerve together to change the mirror lights. Every time I unlock the car I think I need to get my arse into gear but am still nervous about breaking the mirror. Watched the DVD when it came, will have to watch again to persuade me that I will not break anything.

I have ordered the full led light set from ledperf, plus number plate light. Also got the footwell light kit from boldsport, and osram led blinkers, and the front parker (sidelights) for the xenons.

Only LEDs left that I need are reversing lights. Can anyone tell me what bulb they are? Every single light on my car will be LED then. (PS the blinkers have multiple LEDs on all sides of the "light" so have a similar range to a normal globe.)

just got my new MK3 a couple of days ago, I had some LED spare so I upgraded all the interior lights, the mirror lights will be done at some point, interrested to see how you all get on!

Inside the car I won't change anything to LED except the trunk lights (for more visibility).

I don't like to watch the cool white color for a long time.

I have footwell lights and I like them yellowish (neutral).

The other thing is that my eyes are sensitive to LEDs meaning I can see the flicker effect.

But outside the car cool white looks cool B) .

I'm going to change the number plate lights, maybe the mirror lights, and the ugly look front sidelights (I have xenons + LED DRL, and the yellowish background color looks ugly).

I have found some chinese alternative for the T10 bulbs.

What are your thoughts about these?

(I know they are chinese products but so cheap and only have a few components so could work):

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/T10-6smd-5050-Car-LED-no-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-W5W-T10-Interior-Lighting-No-polarity-Aluminum/694500644.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10xT10-6smd-5050-Car-LED-no-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-W5W-T10-Interior-Lighting-No-polarity-Aluminum/1533027787.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/T10-W5W-194-168-6LEDs-5050-SMD-Bright-White-LED-Car-Side-Wedge-Light-Vehicle-Tail/1855218400.html

They are all one sided with 6 pcs of 5050 LED chips.

The 1st and 2nd are equipped with canbus cancellers and integrated heatsink.

The 3rd one has no resistors and therefore I think they produce less heat (and no heatsink needed).

I have VCDS so I can change the coding to avoid bulb-out warning.

Which one is better?

I tried those 6 SMD lights in the footwell lights, boot light and numberplate light, but they are a little too long so went back to the 4 SMD version of them.

Thanks, I will check the available space in the light units.

What is your experience about the luminance of such a 4-SMD one sided "bulb" compared to the original incadescent bulb? The same brightness, or more?

I read about the theoretical lumens but you have some experience.

For how long have they been working?

Are they equipped with standard resistors or with such a current limiter: http://lighthouseleds.com/20ma-led-current-limiter-driver.html

I think the current limiter version gives some extra protection to the LEDs against overvoltage.

Mine were just std ones (no current limiter) and in the car over 3 years with no problems and yes they are MUCH brighter than the OE incandescent bulbs 

A couple of photo’s to show you the brightness of the 4 SMD ones I used:

Numberplate lights

photo4_zpsedaf0ed6.jpg

Footwell and puddle lights

IMG_0473.jpg

Bit nervous freeing the mirror from the mounting but apart from that no issues, unscrewed 2 screws and freed 2 clips to access the bulb which just pulled out. Swapped bulbs then reversed process. Glad I've done it, should have done it when I did the other bulbs though.